Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flexmod P3 with Beam Suppression.

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    Remember

Actual modulation speed of diode
    Is the modulation speed of the diode 0-100% power or 0- diode lasing
    Sorry, I don't understand

well a diode will have a limit on what it can be modulated at, ive no idea what that limit it. so no point spending a lot of time and afford getting a driver that modulates faster than the diode

when looking at a diodes modulation speed is it from 0 power to full power or from 0 power to when the diode lases
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    well a diode will have a limit on what it can be modulated at, ive no idea what that limit it. so no point spending a lot of time and afford getting a driver that modulates faster than the diode

when looking at a diodes modulation speed is it from 0 power to full power or from 0 power to when the diode lases
    Ahh, yes, I get you. I thought that the speed of the laser diodes was far in excess of most drivers? Will do some googling!

no idea, but do you see where im going here? many unknown...

we recommended a good driver that lots of people use, the modulation speed will be fine/good and similar to the p3 so don't worry about it. just get it and it will do the job nicely
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

if i remember the oringinal variant of daves driver was good to 100khz ,far more than you will ever need scanning graphics
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

It seems laser diodes are usually limited to 10-20 GHz. The PL520 can be modulated in excess of 100 MHz as can the PL450B. Can't find info on the HL63603TG.

I don't think I've seen a driver in the Mhz range (in my price bracket anyway) so the limitation is the driver not the diode. But of course, I don't know if it will be visible.

Does anyone have any experience of modulation comparison?

well your not going to need a driver that does anymore than 30khz or so , unless your planning on scanning video
    and theres no galvo fast enough for that at the mo, any of the drivers forsale on the forum far exceed what you will ever need for scanning graphics
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Would modulation speed matter for an effect like this one with a large number of small dots moving quickly?

The human eye cannot discern anything any where near that speed, so as long as you can modulate as fast as your scanners (which will be the limiting factor) you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
    The human eye cannot discern anything any where near that speed, so as long as you can modulate as fast as your scanners (which will be the limiting factor) you should be fine.
    Are you saying that if I use 30k scanners I only require 30KHz modulation, 60K - 60KHz?
    Last edited by Galvonaut; 03-17-2014 at 13:21. Reason: double posting weirdness