Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Omnichrome 532 Argon help needed.

I took off the grey insulating piece yesterday before I packed everything away. I didn't see anything that looked out of place. Everything. Seemed original/untouched.

I don't mind spending all the time in the world working on projects like these. Even as frustrating as it may be sometimes. Though I wouldn't want to spend more then 100$ on parts attempting to repair this power supply since I know I could get another used one on ebay for around that.

Speaking of supplies. would there be any other power supplies that I should look for that would work for the 532 head?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    ...I had the blue hair.
    Nice.. Steve's just trying to avoid you having blue flames coming out of the blue hair...

*ahem*, Excuse the interruption, but.. with this puppy sitting... unlit since 2008 (correct?..) ..why, exactly, are we not thinking a simple case of hi-pressure? I guess it's that we can't even get that far, if the PS was custom-cheezed.. Will be keen to see what shakes-out..

PS - IF it turns out you need some exotic fuse, lemme know, I've got cabinet-drawers full of (probably) every kind of krazy laser-fuse for various ion-supplies, and some rare xsistors, scr's, etc.. fwiw..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Nice.. Steve's just trying to avoid you having blue flames coming out of the blue hair...

*ahem*, Excuse the interruption, but.. with this puppy sitting... unlit since 2008 (correct?..) ..why, exactly, are we not thinking a simple case of hi-pressure? I guess it's that we can't even get that far, if the PS was custom-cheezed.. Will be keen to see what shakes-out..

PS - IF it turns out you need some exotic fuse, lemme know, I've got cabinet-drawers full of (probably) every kind of krazy laser-fuse for various ion-supplies, and some rare xsistors, scr's, etc.. fwiw..
    j

Jon, previous owner shorted the drive to what you would think of as the passbank, deliberately. Thus this might take a while. The microfuses are expensive. If you have a pile of them, might not hurt to send him a few. That is a very kind offer.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I know. I can respect that. I didn't want my unknown age to play badly with his conscience so I figured I'd clarify.

Well, I surely wouldn't rule high pressure out. Though I'd like to point out that I have a Uniphase 40MLA which is still doing >40mW. I pulled it from a sequencer which was last serviced in 2001 and MarioMaster has done the same with various sequencers. Some of his are older and all start up first try every time. So I still have hope. I would have to agree that after realizing what state my power supply was in, it is possible to assume the head "might" work had the power supply been in good shape. Anyone want to send a working power supply to the 18705 area ?

dsli_jon, I will let you know surely. Thank you for the offer!

Closest one to 18705, that I know of, is near Philly. 19004
    Steve

You talking about Sam? Because I know he lives in the Philly area.

Yep, That is Sam.

Steve

Sam has a working 150 PSU that he is willing to let me borrow. I'll update this thread with more info as I get it.

Okay, here's an update and one I'm not looking forward to writing.

The power supply from Sam has arrived today. So I got busy hooking everything up. Turned the power supply on and it powered nicely. Left it sit for a minute and then turned the key. Everything went smoothly. Heard the fan on the PSU kick on and then the relay, All good! However no light from the tube. Immediately put my glasses on and checked the bore of the tube for starter pulses again. This time I could clearly see the starter arcing across the tube and the clicks were nice and audible. Next is where it starts to get a bit hairy. So I figured that the tube might be high pressure, went and grabbed my Oudin coil and "just barely" turned it on. Next I put it near the anode heatsink and the laser did not start but something weird happend. There was a snap sound and a small yellowish arc (It was a quick snapping arc, not a sustained arc) to the tip of my Oudin coil and immediately the power supply started making a funny noise so I quickly shut everything down. Next I re-powered the supply and every time the fan starts, this sound comes back and I can no longer see starter pulses in my tube. The sound is hard to describe but its very similar to the sound the oudin coil makes and the supply was not making this noise before.

So now I'm about ready to have a nervous breakdown because I'm afraid that I may have damaged Sam's power supply with the coil. I did not touch anything else besides the front of the heatsink where the anode is connected.

That's too bad.

Steve probably knows exactly what blew.

I guess you owe me a working power supply, a 150 or another one with the same round remote connector. Either find someone to repair it or get a good one off eBay or elsewhere. I have no interest in doing the repair myself.

You should have emailed before doing anything besides powering it up normally. I suppose I should have made that clear.

--- sam