Thread: Using home receiver amplifier with sound card DAC to drive galvos?

Lightbulb Using home receiver amplifier with sound card DAC to drive galvos?

Hi,

New to the forum. First post.

I recently bought a used RGV laser and its been a lot of fun. It's a cheap one that uses iShow for its DAC. It didn't take long though to reach the limits of its capabilities. I've really been wanting to build my own as a sort of side project. I bought a set of 20Kpps galvos and have been wanting to try out a sound card DAC with openlase. My goal is to be able to play mame games with it.

So after wandering through the forum the past few days, it seems pretty clear that most external sound cards work great for these purposes. Only thing is that they require some extra kits for the correction amplifier. I'd rather not buy something if I can just piece things together from what I have. That got me thinking, why wouldn't a regular 7 channel amplifier work? I actually have a nice surround sound system that is just sitting there not being used. I can adjust the gain for each channel. I measured the voltage coming out of the speaker outputs and I get up to 7 Volts at max volume.

Has anybody tried this? Could this work? What possible issues would I have? This would be a whole lot easier and cheaper to just run my soundcard through a receiver I already have then to buy a kit and have to solder a bunch of connections.

Looking forward to following up with this community. I'm pretty new to DIY laser shows but I'm already hooked!

Thanks a lot!

It won't work.

You need a direct DC coupling from the output of each DAC channel.

You will not get this from an audio amplifier.

Just about 100% of the time, audio devices are capacitor decoupled.

If you try this, you will get weird looking graphics that are constantly crashing into the center of the screen and your colors will surge on and fade out quickly.

Your system will not be able to translate a DC voltage state and hold it for any length of time.

As a matter of fact, since your color channels are "supposed" to be all positive voltages ranging from zero to +5VDC, a capacitor in series with that will cause the resulting voltage to swing NEGATIVE when the DAC voltage drops from +5V back to zero. Not good!

BTW I have that kit you're talking about!

http://laserboy.org/forum/index.php?topic=561.0

James.
    Last edited by james; 10-05-2013 at 19:06.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Hi guys!

I made this offset, but its not working.
    I connected offset to usb sound card , i make to X and to Y 0V and i connected to galvos AL30K "PT30K" but nothing. I connected to sound card speakers it makes sound if I click to projector on, but galvos dont work. I set sound card to 6channel.
    I use LaserRoom Software and LFI_Player_V1.1.6

What is wrong !?
    Please Help!

Sorry for bad English!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140412_131822 (Másolás).jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	42847

Name:	20140412_131852 (Másolás).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	42848

Name:	20140412_153128 (Másolás).jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	42849

Name:	20140412_153157 (Másolás).jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	42850

Name:	20140412_153227 (Másolás).jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	42851

Name:	20140412_153242 (Másolás).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	42852

Name:	20140412_153426 (Másolás).jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	42853

Name:	LaserBoy2b (Másolás).jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	42854

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmito View Post
    Hi guys!

I made this offset, but its not working.
    I connected offset to usb sound card , i make to X and to Y 0V and i connected to galvos AL30K "PT30K" but nothing. I connected to sound card speakers it makes sound if I click to projector on, but galvos dont work. I set sound card to 6channel.
    I use LaserRoom Software and LFI_Player_V1.1.6

What is wrong !?
    Please Help!

Sorry for bad English!
    Hello and Welcome to PL!
    can you tell me a bit about this LaserRoom software?
    I have only found this :
    http://download.cnet.com/Laser-Room/...-75709613.html