Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laser safety laws in Europe

Not sure what EU laws would stand CMB. I will need to look them up myself at some point.

The black foil is great stuff. If you set up a laser with a height limit, using the tape means that if there is a galvo or mirror failure your audience is still safe.

The issue of using a method of disrupting the laser in an emergency using a method that is not directly affecting the diodes or power supplies is that an electrical failure could potentially make any other method fail to shut down the beam.

The interesting thing about risk assessment in the UK is that it is pretty flexible in some areas. If you are trained in risk assessment you can implement your own systems - but you would be taking on risk yourself. If you carry out a proper risk assessment and fill out the paperwork correctly you have more protection and as long as you have taken reasonable precautions you have some protection - if however the guidance recommends safety precautions that you ignore, it is very wise to have a damned good method of minimising the risks.

I have been searching the web high and low for regulations and laws regarding using lasers in Norway. Absolutly nothing to be found, exept for some sensible regulations regardig handheld lasers. I guess we have to wait until an accident happens before somone are forced to make laws and regulations. It might be that lasers still are rare, and norwegian laserists are even more rare.

So far i have only been doing som small gigs at work, and people seem to enjoy the show, but dont understand why it takes so much time to rig and test the eqipment.
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

So if I get this right, there are no laws, only European guidelines (IEC 60825)?
    Of course the law states you're not allowed to harm people so if you cause eye damage you deserve every legal action.
    But if some official inspects an installation and he finds a laser not meeting the IEC standards, he can't do anything against it? What is the legal value of those guidelines?

On a slightly related note, is there a device that has an Ilda in and out connector with a mushroom button that connects laser modulation signals to ground?

Hi,

Just a quick reply as I'm currently working away.

IEC 60825-1:2007 (about to have update published very shortly) is adopted across the EC as a Euronorm. So it is a valid product safety standard across Europe. It is a requirement for laser products to have the minimum safety features specified in this standard, which is usually adopted as EN 60825-1:2007. This is a necessary requirement for the equipment to contain the essential safety features, and can be used as part of the CE conformity process. (As a side note, there are lots of manufacturers getting this bit wrong, and not including the start/reset feature that was added in 2007, and became a legal requirement in 2009 for all Class 4 laser products. Stanwax laser sell a convenient E-stop system that can be retrofitted to projectors to add this feature) A delayed startup is not necessary in Europe.

In the 60825 series there are two other documents relevant for light show. These are guidance, IEC/TR 60825-14:2004 "User Guidance" and IEC/TR 60825-3:2008, which is the user guidance for laser shows. These guidance documents are not legal requirements, but normally show you enough to be following the law, and have become accepted ways of demonstrating compliance.

Across Europe in 2006, a Directive (2006/25/EC) was introduced to require all EU member states introduce legislation to control laser use in the workplace. Among the various things it highlighted, was the requirement to not expose workers to laser radiation above the MPE. Controls need to be used to ensure this is the case. In Belgium this is enacted through:-

FEDERALE OVERHEIDSDIENST WERKGELEGENHEID, ARBEID EN SOCIAAL OVERLEG - 22 APRIL 2010. - Koninklijk besluit betre"ende de bescherming van de gezondheid en de veiligheid van de werknemers tegen de risico's van kunstmatige optische straling op het werk [Moniteur Belge, 06/05/2010, 25349-25386].

So, in summary, you have IEC the product safety standard (required for CE), and workplace guidance documents. And you have your legal requirements to satisfy Directive 2006/25/EC, and keep other people safe of course!

I think Kvant used to sell an E-Stop that sits in-line with the ILDA connector. Use a Stanwax unit, and you can make your own system quite easily though.

Hope this helps.

James
    Laser Safety
    https://www.lvroptical.com
    https://www.facebook.com/LaserSafety

- Laser Show Safety Training & Audience Scanning Workshops.
    - Effects Assessment, and Realtime MPE Measurement
    - Pangolin PASS System Integrator

You need an interlock, e-stop and a safety cable.

If your projector comes crashing down, even if the trustis on the stage:
    1. you'r projector would be most certainly broken.
    2. If that comes crashing down and possibly kill or hurt someone you'd be in for a hella lawsuit.

Laser safety for belgium are more then likely the same as Europe.

and a safety cable
    Actually, you need a 'secondary fixing' capable of taking the weight of the fixture in a typical fall situation. Note that its good practise to always use one, but from a risk assessment perspective, not actually required in areas where people cannot access the space under the projector.

Key thing is that the secondary fixing is not simply connected to the primary fixing (e.g. safety bond wrapped around the hanging yoke), but attached by an alternative means to the body of the fixture (such as a separate safety 'eye')

Otherwise, the projector falls, someone goes to investigate, and they get hit by the falling yoke 30 secs after the initial fall. Note that a secondary fixing could be anything, not necessarilly a chain/steel rope.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

This is the reason why you need safety cables and proper security to avoid these kind of accidents:

http://www.omroepbrabant.nl/?news/16...d+Reeshof.aspx

If these had double security they didn,t come down from the ceilling. 2 employees from the public pool inspected the attachment in april and noticed that it wasn,t safe.
    You can argue about who is responsible but if something bad happens who cares, the harm is already done and could have been prevented and this is also the case with rigging projectors. Take responsibillity and just do things yourself to prevent accidents instead of checking who should do things according to regulations. That is what prevents accidents.

I,m amazed that not more people use Rob his safety board to make the projector complient with EU regulations. Its a no brainer since you don,t even have to think about regulations, just install it and you ALWAYS complient with the EU rules.

http://shop.stanwaxlaser.co.uk/ilda-...board-55-p.asp

Rob should get an Ilda award for it if you ask me......... its affordable for everyone and it meets EU regulations, what do you need more? ......
    Last edited by edison; 03-25-2014 at 05:20.

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    You need an interlock, e-stop and a safety cable.
    What do you mean by "need"?
    Is it:
    - just a good idea?
    - required by Dutch law?
    - required by Belgian law?
    - required by European law?
    - recommended by Dutch guidelines?
    - recommended by Belgian guidelines?
    - recommended by European guidelines?

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    This is the reason why you need safety cables and proper security to avoid these kind of accidents:

http://www.omroepbrabant.nl/?news/16...d+Reeshof.aspx

If these had double security they didn,t come down from the ceilling. 2 employees from the public pool inspected the attachment in april and noticed that it wasn,t safe.
    You can argue about who is responsible but if something bad happens who cares, the harm is already done and could have been prevented and this is also the case with rigging projectors. Take responsibillity and just do things yourself to prevent accidents instead of checking who should do things according to regulations. That is what prevents accidents.

I,m amazed that not more people use Rob his safety board to make the projector complient with EU regulations. Its a no brainer since you don,t even have to think about regulations, just install it and you ALWAYS complient with the EU rules.

http://shop.stanwaxlaser.co.uk/ilda-...board-55-p.asp

Rob should get an Ilda award for it if you ask me......... its affordable for everyone and it meets EU regulations, what do you need more? ......
    Thanks for the link for that breakout board. It's on the list of things to buy.
    Last edited by colouredmirrorball; 03-25-2014 at 05:38.