Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: how many?

Lol... Mt. Lasermore is incredible and I'm fortunate to have somebody soooo cool so close...

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I suspect a bit of both! A bit of liquidation is in order, that much is true. I seem to use about the same handful of items all the time and have been making a mental list of what can go. Much I'm afraid is slated for Craigslist and eBay although, it will be listed here first just in case there is interest. There are a number of lesser laser goodies and LED type stuff that has to go. I feel guilty trying to sell off "illegal chinese lasers" but, I simply don't use them because of it.

But I have my eye on a few new things to take their place! Really want a pair of American DJ Vizi Beam Hybrid 2R's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oljZROKKrp0 but... $3400 isn't "change". Fell in lust with them at the Atlantic City DJ show last summer. Super tight beams and one of the gobos feels very much like an audience scanned cone.

In re-reading, I'm already remembering more that's not on the list!

I'm bored outa my mind.

How many laser projectors does everyone have?
    I don't get it... or, I'm not sure. You're bored despite having a good # of projectors? You're tired/bored by the thought of building/buying another? You are looking for a compilation as a distraction? Maybe each laser project is just becoming dull because you are not reaching far enough. We lost the thrill for overclocking when there was only a few GHz to gain and little noticeable performance improvement. Why bother?

3W, 5W 8W...Brighter, but it's still the same show. All diode...better modulation, but maybe less appealing color?

For at least the last year I have felt that the focus on the machine needs to be replaced by a focus on content. I might try to build a Stradivarius, but "Old MacDonald Had a Farm" has gotten VERY old.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    But I have my eye on a few new things to take their place! Really want a pair of American DJ Vizi Beam Hybrid 2R's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oljZROKKrp0 but... $3400 isn't "change". Fell in lust with them at the Atlantic City DJ show last summer. Super tight beams and one of the gobos feels very much like an audience scanned cone.
    I spotted these a while ago when they were 1st launched. Closest thing I've seen to Clay Paky Sharpy's without the cost. Not quite as tight @ 4 degrees, but then again about $5K per fixture cheaper!

BTW, I hope that list isn't for home use Brad, because if it is you must throw some great parties!

Yup. They are very cool moving heads! I wish there was a place I could rent a couple to see what they look like in my ballroom. Seeing them in a 15' x 15' booth at a trade show is one thing... seeing them live where you intend to use them is definitely another.

No, it's most assuredly not for home... that's dkumpula's expertise. I manage a large banquet facility so, all this crap is marketed to weddings, proms, sweet 16 birthdays, fashion shows and stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    I don't get it... or, I'm not sure. You're bored despite having a good # of projectors? You're tired/bored by the thought of building/buying another? You are looking for a compilation as a distraction? Maybe each laser project is just becoming dull because you are not reaching far enough. We lost the thrill for overclocking when there was only a few GHz to gain and little noticeable performance improvement. Why bother?

3W, 5W 8W...Brighter, but it's still the same show. All diode...better modulation, but maybe less appealing color?

For at least the last year I have felt that the focus on the machine needs to be replaced by a focus on content. I might try to build a Stradivarius, but "Old MacDonald Had a Farm" has gotten VERY old.
    I work in Oil & Gas. Im in the middle of the ocean right now. FAR from any coherent source of light...

Hence, Bored.
    "This is not "work". It's a disease, addiction and passion. Only slightly cheaper than cocaine, but similar effects."
    -dnar

Brad,

LOL how long did it take you to acquire all of that?! have you ever sat down and added the dollar amount up?
    "This is not "work". It's a disease, addiction and passion. Only slightly cheaper than cocaine, but similar effects."
    -dnar

Except for pretty much the 4' shoplights with blacklight bulbs and the 2 SoundTech speakers, basically everything has been aquired since about November of '09 so about 4 years and 4 months. The first ($65) laser was in spring of 2010 so, 4 years for this silly assed addiction. I was asked not long ago by a friend if I thought I'd spent over $100,000 yet and yeah, regrettably I know it's probably $100 -120k. Dumb, dumb, dumb. (Especially since I've only "made" about $12-$15.000 so far.) The only saving grace is I've rarely paid "full price" for anything. For example, much of the DJ type lighting I wouldn't get unless it was about 50% of retail or, mismarked or utilized some coupon or package deal. One set of JBL's for example, had to be a misprint on the web site, as bundled with an amp and speakers they were nearly $500 off anybody else (and what they normally charge.) but, they honored it.

As I'm typing this, even more things are popping into my head that aren't on the list. Crap.

Mackie HD1801 powered subwoofer.
    Elation Electro swarm
    2 - Blizzard Lighting Reanimators

Is it inappropriate that this makes me feel relieved as I haven't spent as much as you have in close to 15 years, or would it be more like two people in a mental institution arguing over which of them is crazy??

More seriously, I would think that it would be a real challenge to acquaint yourself with that many types of DMX devices in order to be able to use them in practice. I only have about 1/6 the number of devices and I find it hard to keep up with that many!

David

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Except for pretty much the 4' shoplights with blacklight bulbs and the 2 SoundTech speakers, basically everything has been aquired since about November of '09 so about 4 years and 4 months. The first ($65) laser was in spring of 2010 so, 4 years for this silly assed addiction. I was asked not long ago by a friend if I thought I'd spent over $100,000 yet and yeah, regrettably I know it's probably $100 -120k. Dumb, dumb, dumb. (Especially since I've only "made" about $12-$15.000 so far.) The only saving grace is I've rarely paid "full price" for anything. For example, much of the DJ type lighting I wouldn't get unless it was about 50% of retail or, mismarked or utilized some coupon or package deal. One set of JBL's for example, had to be a misprint on the web site, as bundled with an amp and speakers they were nearly $500 off anybody else (and what they normally charge.) but, they honored it.

As I'm typing this, even more things are popping into my head that aren't on the list. Crap.

Mackie HD1801 powered subwoofer.
    Elation Electro swarm
    2 - Blizzard Lighting Reanimators
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

More seriously, I would think that it would be a real challenge to acquaint yourself with that many types of DMX devices in order to be able to use them in practice. I only have about 1/6 the number of devices and I find it hard to keep up with that many!
    This is the secret with DMX devices. You need lots of them, but generally just a few different types! (aside from the odd 1 or 2 of 'specials')

But if you're buying movers, don't really consider less than 4 at a time, and 6 or 8 is better.

Brad, go back and look at all the videos of Sharpy type lights and realise what it is that makes them look so cool. Its the quantity. A 'pair' is a LOT of money for the effect you'll get from them.
    Sell off a load of that disco tat and see if you can buy 4.

Oh, and whilst you're at it, get a half decent desk/software-dongle combo to run them. Nothing worse than really expensive lights being run off an entirely unsuitable DMX desk. Leave the disco controller for the disco tat, and use a proper desk (Chamsys, Avo, Flying Pig, Matin, etc) for the movers.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.