Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lumia Glass

Default Lumia Glass

I thought I would start a thread on lumia glass as it's something I've been considering and I've been told it can be tricky.

I have been offered some cheap off-cuts of textured glass by a local firm and thought that I could make about 6 or 8 lumia wheels from a £2 piece of glass.

I've not cut much glass in my lifetime, so have been doing a little research.

So far I have found this video which actually looks like someone creating lumia wheels.

This page from Down Under has some really handy general tips from a professional glazier with 30 years under his belt.

Does anyone have any other tips or tricks?
    Last edited by Galvonaut; 10-04-2013 at 10:45. Reason: Formatting was pants!

Be sure to ask them if it is tempered. If is, it will shatter if you cut with a glass cutter. Also be sure to use a good glass cutter and make sure to use lube. We used to use ATF in ours. It works great.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Make sure you get up with displaser (Greg) on here. I know he can add some valuable insight into this for you.

Thanks Abs. Glass splinters AND chemical burns......I'll have to consider that one

Cheers Brad. I could do with some of that.

You don't always need to cut it... but get a circle cutter if you want to make a bunch then you need to grind the outside of the wheels. As the price is right give it a try put rubber on the tips of pliers don't hold it with your hand.

Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

You should use cutting oil frequently (like every cut). Even though I use a cutter with an oil reservoir, I still dip it into an oily rag before each cut (put a snip of an old t-shirt into an old plastic 35mm canister and wet it with cutting oil or kerosene). A good cutter is likely $35-50 now and you can damage the cutting wheel. Don't go back over a previous score, don't run your cutter off the edge of the glass. If you are planning to use a "hardware store" glass cutter, you're going to be disappointed. Look for Toyo cutters - good stuff.

Oh, and the video with the guy really jamming down on the cutter to make circles - you will destroy the life of your cutting wheel doing that. Glass doesn't need anywhere near that much effort to score and cut.

Greg
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

That sounds like a sensible way to avoid cuts Adam. I am a little prone to injuring myself!

Thanks Greg. Good to know how to look after your tools. I watched a video where someone pre-lubricated the glass. Would you recommend this?

Just found this on the interweb. Do you think it would be worth experimenting with for lumia or scan-through effects?

Quote Originally Posted by Galvonaut View Post
    That sounds like a sensible way to avoid cuts Adam. I am a little prone to injuring myself!

Thanks Greg. Good to know how to look after your tools. I watched a video where someone pre-lubricated the glass. Would you recommend this?
    This actually is a good question - if you use anything other than an oil cutter, like a circle cutter as Len mentioned (I have one of these too), it's a good idea to place oil on the glass, then make your cut. It doesn't have to be much - just a few drops at the start of the cut. Never cut glass with a dry cut, at least don't do it if you expect your cutter to last.

Greg
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

Thank you Greg. Noted.