Thread: camera recording stops during beam shows?

Default camera recording stops during beam shows?

Hi im trying to record beam shows.
    Beams never get close to the camera, they dont go below the horizon which is a meter above the camera.
    Whenever I try to record a beam show the camera screen displays a message that the recording has stopped automatically.
    This doesnt happen when i record anything else.

Im not a real photographer and that is not my camera. i just wanted to record some shows. so with my little knowledge im guessing the beams are too bright (1W) for the settings and the recording turns of automatically to prevent damage to the camera?
    iso - 400
    shutter - 1/50
    aperture - f/5.6
    Last edited by zorn; 04-28-2016 at 15:56.

Could be that the room is too dark, and the camera is shutting off because it thinks that the average brightness is so low that it can't see anything.

Try recording again with the lights on and see if that works. If it does, then you know it's the low light level shutting it down. Then you'll need to check with the manufacturer to see if you can bypass that feature.

Adam

Lightbulb

^ Seconded... It's definitely not 'protecting itself'; That caliber of digital-cam's don't typically employ that level of 'intelligence' (otherwise, the cam would prolly never be able to work outside, in 'protecting itself' from the far-more intense Sun... I think Adam is right - You actually just need to let more light IN.. 1W is actually 'not a lot', especially once scanned into aerials / fans / beams, and even more so, if you're not using a light 'scatterer', like haze / fog..

...I'd try a slower shutter of at least 1/15, if not 1/8 and an ap of f/2.8.. experiment! Oh, and try using a light haze or fog.. it will increase the 'visibility' exponentially..

cheers..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I had this problem on my Canon DSLR.
    You can video paint drying and it will still occur.

First off, each movie can only be 4GB long, then you will get that message (~10mins on 1080p/25fps).
    However after deleting the videos and images on the card to free up space, I was still getting the same message after a few seconds. The problem got progressively worse, went from mins, to tens of seconds, to almost 1-2 seconds after I pressed record.
    The issue turned out to be fragmentation on the SD card. Backup/copy-off photos and videos you want and then FORMAT the card from the camera.
    This will solve the issue, and you'll be back to the ~10min/4GB limit. Crappy Canon firmware...
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Does your camera have an ir remote to start and stop the recording?
    The flashing beam patterns might be mimicking / imitating the pulse pattern of the remote start stop command.
    Will there be three phase!!!!

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I've had Sony systems that move their shutter timing off periodic peak flashes in light level. This was in a lab with strobes, and try as we might, the darn thing would move its timing off the synced 30 HZ flashes, which we wanted to film. Sony's explanation was a software feature to avoid patterns in the video image caused by flicker in fluorescent lights on power line peaks and valleys. I imagine you might have something like that going on, Try changing modes to something that likes flashes and rapid motion, like "Sports mode".

I agree, the laser pulse may be acting like a remote, too. Aluminum foil taped over the sensor might work, note black tape is not always black in the IR, often its "clear".

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I'm 100% it's the fragmentation issue.
    I don't know about <class 6 cards, e.g. 4 say, as the two I've got are 6 and 10.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -