Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 80 watt YAG - I broke it - Do'h

Ti:S... now that's intriguing. And then what? Let me guess. A little ultra fast for home use and some air breakdown or an over the top laser engraver? I'm also interested in your work at work. A couple of years ago I saw the oscillator and amplifier for the high harmonic work done in the lab adjacent to the lab where your lasers are. Have you made changes or modified these systems?

Junktronix,
    Wow! So why the high efficiency? Is it like Laserman said, everything is tuned just so or is there some fundamental change with the newer system?

Can someone tell me what they are getting divergence/ beam size with the older z-folds? I have owned 2 of them but cant find where I ever wrote it down. I have seen them in operation many times. I want to try and compare a known brightness to see what it would take with DI greens.

I have one and it should be pretty easy to interrupt the beam before the dye and measure the diameter and divergence. It is high, but it really is 40W and that would take 32, 1W diodes. Considering the cost (include drivers, optics,mounts etc) and the labor even if the beam is close, I wouldn't go there. If you can tolerate the 10kHz of the rep rate of the LS, then add a dye like I did and the 20W has the same specs as a single DI diode.

It is my understanding that the PV and the HPS have even worse beam characteristics than the 800 series, but lots more power.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    I have one and it should be pretty easy to interrupt the beam before the dye and measure the diameter and divergence. It is high, but it really is 40W and that would take 32, 1W diodes. Considering the cost (include drivers, optics,mounts etc) and the labor even if the beam is close, I wouldn't go there. If you can tolerate the 10kHz of the rep rate of the LS, then add a dye like I did and the 20W has the same specs as a single DI diode.

It is my understanding that the PV and the HPS have even worse beam characteristics than the 800 series, but lots more power.
    Its more for mental comparison. I can't afford that many diodes. And if I could they would probably drop to $10 a day after i bought 40 of them at $500 I think 10W is what i am after with DI. I am curious if I can get similar beam specs to the 8w OPSL's. And honestly, I hate scopes. giant heavy *uckers! Maybe I shouldn't say that is a scope thread

And honestly, I hate scopes. giant heavy *uckers! Maybe I shouldn't say that is a scope thread
    No offense taken. I LIKE giant, heavy *uckers. Wait till you see the "creature" I'm working on now. I don,t think you are going to reach OPSL quality beam specs with an 8 diode , multi-mode build. Even if the OPSL has a relatively large gain region it will be hard to stack and knife and PBS, 8 separate beams as tightly. Of course the LSs (Q switched) are pulsed, rapidly pulsed to be fair and this limits scanning applications.

If you are really thinking in these power regions and not just entirely as a thought experiment then there are some interesting developments on the horizon that have nothing to do with an LS. That's all I can say, but you might want to hang in there for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    If you are really thinking in these power regions and not just entirely as a thought experiment then there are some interesting developments on the horizon that have nothing to do with an LS. That's all I can say, but you might want to hang in there for a bit.
    Your killing man! Inquiring minds wanna know.

I know. I know. But, I promised! The point is that there has been little, obvious development other than slight wavelength variations of common diodes (ie. 462nm) for a considerable time. I stopped building projectors a while ago to pursue other laser projects, but I'm not the only one. There are some interesting projects developing in other skunk works and I'm going to wait for them before working on another projector.

Nice, is it in date by chance?

I deleted my original post as that might not have gotten to me in a completely legit way
    Last edited by Junktronix; 02-04-2015 at 09:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Junktronix View Post
    Something interesting showed up....
    ..HOLY O_O ..ya, you could probably flip that for some serious $$$$$.. ..Bet there are Docs out there that would 'trade a Ferrari' for it...

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...