Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone in LA feel that little doozy?

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    the 'solid ground', and when Mamma Nature decides to 'snap it like a bedsheet' under yer feet... It scrambles yer brain pretty good..

..Looks like 'LaHabra' has had nearly a hundred temblors between 1.5 and the 5.1 in the past 24 hrs.. Several over 3.5.. Just hoping those weren't 'foreshocks', like they had in Japan before that Monster, eek..

j
    There is definite feeling of uneasiness when it happens. There is a brief moment in your head where you think "I sure hope this doesn't get any stronger because I have no place to go". That quickly gets replaced with "I hope this building is up to snuff".

I live about 7 miles from La Habra. I was at work when it hit so, it wasn't too impressive. It wasn't until I got home and saw the broken glass and a 27" monitor () laying on the floor along with a bunch of other bits that had shifted when I realized that locally, it shook pretty hard.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyGarcia View Post
    Actually, there was a foreshock...
    ..Ya, I mean all the ones, here: http://www.data.scec.org/recent/rece...s/quakes0.html ..After the 3.6 / 5.1, and 3.4 aftershk.. That's an awful-lot of movement in such a narrow-band of fault, in (actually, now that I look closer..) less-than 24 hrs.. Hopefully, that's just the fault 'relieving itelf', and not a precursor to any much bigger slips.. Absalom, we'll eagerly await your 'report to base' in the am..

...though, I gotta say - I prolly won't shed any tears if I hear that a certain 'International ProDj' over there's Frankenscope 'fell into his pool', oops..

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

And another 4.5.... 2km SE of where I live. Also 2km SE of where ProDJ lives too! Hope his LS tipped over.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

About a month before the '89 Loma Prieta quake, another much smaller one hit the area. My holography studio was in Boulder Creek at the time, just above Santa Cruz. I was under the table replacing the inner tubes on the three stacked cinder block legs, and had two done with the 6x12' cinder block with NRC breadboard on top table up on my car's scissor jack and decided to go home and do the third in the morning. The quake hit right as my head hit the pillow. Strong enough to make the oven door slam up and down a bunch of times! If I'd have kept going, I'd have been right in the middle of the third tube replacement! Not a good place to be. The table did a very small dance that night, and a much bigger one when the big one hit there. Came home after that one to find the laser hanging on its safety chains from the wall (because the cinder block legs under it danced away), and the 18" collimating mirror that was on a 4' tower on the table hanging from its safety chain from the rafter. Both chains were installed after the pre-quake! The table moved about a foot and the legs under it needed to be rebuilt. Glad I wasn't there for that!