Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone in LA feel that little doozy?

Default Anyone in LA feel that little doozy?

5.1 in La Habra. Pretty good rockin and rollin. Along with being a VERY blue state, earthquakes are another reason to hate California!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Ayeup.. But, felt it far less than the 4.1, week 1/2-ish back, there.. That was only about 8-9mi from us, and shallow.. Aunt n Uncle live in Brea, they said they felt this 'un pretty good... Still, I'd far-rather have frequent 4's or 5's, than a 6-7.. Worst I've been in was a 6.6, and, that was not real fun...

Glad yer ok..
    cheers..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Been there, done that. I was in San Diego when that 7.er hit Mexico a few years back, Easter Sunday, I believe it was. That was not fun.

Oh yeah! Victoria or whatever.. We felt that sht all the way up here in the SFV!.. Was the long-rolling style, but, man.. The whole building was rolling like a wave-pool, krazy..

..But, still.. The Earth is movin, all the time, it's not 'just Cali's rep'.. Couple-three years back, was up in the upstate NY office, prepping-for a East-gig, and, Ka-blam.. I'm sittin there in total disbelief as the - 110 yr old - all-brick industrial park jolts like a bomb went off, then proceeded to sway like it was in a hammock.. Couldn't believe it.. I was thinkin, 'oh, great, this place collapses, and I die in a NY-earthquake', Lol.. Even saw some new cracks in the Bldg.. And that sucker was only a 5.5, a few hundred miles up in Canada (!)..

..Frankly, I'd rather be here, where at least when a 'Big One' comes, stuff is built half-way decent / EMS have-a clue, etc.. God help NY - or, anywhere in the East, for that matter - if there's ever a 6-7, there, eek.. Also really-admire Japan for how (really..) well they actually made-out (outside of the Tsunamis.. due to all the improvements they've made in engineering-for Quakes.. considering it was a frigging 9, omg, can't even-imagine.. Seeing some of the vids of that shaking, wow.. Again, I'd much rather have frequent-smallers, and 'keep tension down' across our fault-sys, then wake to a 7 or 8 or... x_x

..then again, when Yellowstone blows, it prolly won't matter, anyway..

J
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 03-28-2014 at 22:08. Reason: sp

Damn, earthquake in NY... that is got to be one hell of a "WTF!" moment. You have a point about the architecture here along with the building codes. Probably as safe as anywhere.

Japan did hold up remarkably well after that disaster. Something like 5 minutes of shaking, that is just insane! Even the Fukashima plant was supposed to stand up to the quake and tsunami if they had just put the B/U gens above ground, the way the builder wanted to.

Yellowstone is going to be the game ender. What is it, something like a 60 mile caldera... There's your BFG9000 right there. Game over. Hopefully I'll be long gone before that cork pops. Be it the blast, the lava, the ash or the CO2... I don't want any part of it!

Live in the valley and I didnt even feel it a bit. It may have been because I was riding the red line at the time though....
    Freelance Laser Operator in L.A.
    -

I live in NC and have never been through an earthquake but a few years back one did hit where I live... but guess what, I happened to be on business trip to San Diego at the time and missed it.

Earthquakes here in Costa Rica are a way of life. The houses and buildings here are constructed with that in mind. There are probably several minor ones every day. I haven't been here long enough to experience a big one. Last week I woke up in my lazy-boy recliner at 3am with the house gently swaying back and forth, then it stopped. Still half asleep, I wondered if it may have been a dream? (See the "dream" thread.) But, I looked up and the chains on the ceiling fans (which were off) were still swinging. Kind of fun in a way. But an unsettling feeling to have the thing you think you can count on, solid ground, moving around. Yee-haw! Pura vida!

Quote Originally Posted by Photonbeam View Post
    Earthquakes here in Costa Rica are a way of life...
    Yep, was the same way in El Sal.. Where we lived (foothills of a 'dormant' volcano) there were 3's, 4's, low-5's every mo. In fact, the nickname of that area is 'Valle de las hamacas' (Valley of the hammocks - perfect descrip..

@ Gary, Hah! ya 'figures', right? Well, 'experiencing' one, first time, really messes w/ yer brain, cuz, like Steve says, your greatest 'what is stability' frame of reference - for your entire existence, previously - is the 'solid ground', and when Mamma Nature decides to 'snap it like a bedsheet' under yer feet... It scrambles yer brain pretty good..

..Looks like 'LaHabra' has had nearly a hundred temblors between 1.5 and the 5.1 in the past 24 hrs.. Several over 3.5.. Just hoping those weren't 'foreshocks', like they had in Japan before that Monster, eek..

j

Actually, there was a foreshock! a 3.5 originally hit and an hour later is when the "big" one struck
    Freelance Laser Operator in L.A.
    -