Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 14 years for laserpointer at heliocopter

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    ok lets take a toll. How many of you have fired a laser into the air without a permit? I include using a pointer for a guide on a telescope. So if some kid takes his meade telescope out and accidentally hits a plane his life is ruined? There has to be a happy medium here.

How many of you have tried to use your scanner to write on a cloud or on the side of a blimp.....
    Dude -

The article you posted might be missing a LOT of detail, but it did say the couple were prosecuted for repeatedly lasing multiple aircraft ~
    Hardly the same thing as "accidentally" hitting a plane just because you happened to be shining a laser pointer into the sky...

BTW, it's called intentionally interfering with the flight of an aircraft, which has been a federal offense for MANY years.
    Before lasers, the main culprits were high-power spotlights, with the occasional dumbasses that would think it was funny to actually shoot at aircraft.
    High-power handheld lasers are just the latest tool being misused by another tool on the ground acting stupid.
    (notice I did NOT say anything about "bringing down" an aircraft, just intentionally interfering with flight)

BTW -
    Unless it's pre-coordinated & approved, intentionally scanning a blimp could result in similar actions ~
    A blimp is still an aircraft, and still protected by federal law.
    Last edited by Stuka; 04-07-2014 at 11:46.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Pat, No one has tried to scan on a blimp...

Living two miles from Goodyear's ....... Ah never mind. However I did watch a neighbor light up the hovering blimp with a handheld spotlight trying to get her to move to another point a few years ago. She was coming in during a storm at night. The pilot picked a hover point about 500 yards from my house, nose into the wind. She has a spotlight for illuminating the ground and was using it to hover using a street intersection. It takes a crew of 10 or so for her to land and dock, to grab the ropes. The crew was prepping for the landing, and this takes time in a storm.

The idiot neighbor decided he did not like the noise and light, and reached for one of those parabolic mirror car spots. Which means he probably "jacklights" deer, why else would you have one?..... Jacklighting a pilot trying to get down in a storm is BS. Old Blimp has 60 knots max speed in calm air, trying to run into a 30-35 wind, so net forward velocity is low and the pilots were struggling. The old one does not have fly-by-wire, so all the flight controls need pure muscle to move.

This was sad to watch, because the tax money from the hanger complex is one of the largest sources of commercial tax revenue source in the township and pays for a large portion of the volunteer fire department. Said neighbor has proven to be a jerk, so what else is new...

From my point of view, its a honor to have the Blimp as a neighbor, and the new one(Zepplin NT-07 ) is nearly silent.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 04-07-2014 at 05:27.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Living two miles from Goodyear's ....... Ah never mind. However I did watch a neighbor light up the hovering blimp with a handheld spotlight trying to get her to move to another point a few years ago. She was coming in during a storm at night. The pilot picked a hover point about 500 yards from my house, nose into the wind. She has a spotlight for illuminating the ground and was using it. The idiot neighbor decided he did not like the noise, and reached for one of those parabolic mirror car spots. Which means he probably "jacklights" deer.

This was sad, because the tax money from the hanger comeplex is one of the largest sources of commercial tax revenue source in the township and pays for a large portion of the volunteer fire department.

From my point of view, its a honor to have the Blimp as a neighbor, and the new one(Zepplin NT-07 ) is nearly silent.

Steve
    THAT would be cool to see up close!
    I've been within a few thousand feet while at a couple of thousand feet, but never up close.

Got any shareable photos?
    Last edited by Stuka; 04-07-2014 at 05:29.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    THAT would be cool to see up close!
    I've been within a few of thousand feet while at a couple of thousand feet, but never up close.

Got any shareable photos?

Got an address for me to send the DVD? I was at the last local flight of the one they just decommissioned. Was at the first flight of the new ship after re-assembly and inflation. Sad to see the old GZ-20 go....

I'll post a few in a hour or so...

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Hey Steve -

Looking forward to any photos / YouTube clips you might have of the blimps in action!
    We can coordinate a DVD-swap the next time we're both going to be at the same laser meet ~
    but I do appreciate the offer!
    RR

Sweet.....