Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Command Stations?

Default Command Stations?

What do you guys use to control? I just picked up this laptop and its doing very well running the QS Demo (awaiting laser so Im just pretending like Im making light right now)
    Freelance Laser Operator in L.A.
    -

Smile

Dell Precision 490 workstation (Dual Xeon 5100 dual-core cpus at 3Ghz each) with 8 gigs of ECC ram, a 19" ELO touchscreen monitor, and an APC40, all mounted in a slant-top road case. Running Beyond on a QM2000 under Win 7 ultimate, booting from a 120 gig SSD. (Separate 500 gig drive has the rest of the content and other files.)

Laptops are convenient, but desktop computers are far more reliable, at least in my experience. Going with server hardware is even better, which is why I'm running the 490. Great box, even if it's not the latest generation. Rock-solid stable, quiet, and built like a tank. I love it.

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

That new since FLEM? I don't recall you having the road case. Did you build the PC into the case or does the actual tower fit inside of it?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

6U road case.

The 2U PC at the bottom contains:

MSI AMD Radeon R6570-MD2GD3/LP Video Card - Silver/black
    iStar D Value D-213-MATX 2U Rackmount Server Chassis (Black)
    Intel Core-i5 3350P Quad-Core Processor 3.1 Ghz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637i53350P
    2X Cooler Master Slim 80mm Standard Case for Fan (R4 SPS 20AK GP)
    ASUS P8B75-M/CSM LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)
    Corsair CX Series 430 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze ATX12V/EPS12V 384 Power Supply CX430M
    WD RE4 1 TB Enterprise Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA II, 64 MB Cache - WD1003FBYX
    8GB of something something ram (couldn't find the order info)

Echo Layla 24/96 (with DZ mods for level control on each channel/xy invert switches/ilda output, etc)
    Cyberpower CPS-1215RMS Rackmount PDU Power/Surge Strip - 12-Outlet 15A 1800VA 1800 Joules
    TOA M-243 6 channel rack mount mixer
    Raxxess RAX Unitray Universal Rack Tray UNS1
    Etherdream DAC and 5 port NetGear switch

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	control-station.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	157.9 KB 
ID:	42766
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Im using a macbook pro i7 from 2010 with 8 gig ram running win7 ultimate with bootcamp from a ssd drive.
    No problems running 3 fb3's, apc40, kinect, and Entec dmx pro with Beyond, still got loads of power left.

Hopefully i will get a rackmounted server as workstation that is more rugged in the future.
    2x 1W RGB(DT40 PRO)
    1x 4W RGB, Full diode (DT40 WIDE)
    2x 1W, 532nm(DT40 WIDE)
    1x ALC68 ArgonGasser with 8ch, PCAOM
    5xFB3SE, BEYOND

In progress, 2x 2,5w RGB

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    That new since FLEM? I don't recall you having the road case.
    Yes, it's brand new. In fact, it's still under construction, even though I've been using the components separately for a while now. Still getting everything mounted in the case.

Did you build the PC into the case or does the actual tower fit inside of it?
    It all fits inside.

I purchased the larger size road case (see link above) so I could put the entire tower inside it, case and all. That way I get maximum shielding for everything inside, and it also helps make everything more reliable. (The card mounts for these server workstations are super-solid compared to your average desktop. No way the QM-2000 can ever work it's way loose!)

Adam

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    No way the QM-2000 can ever work it's way loose!)

Adam
    Hahahahaha, gotta love grammar.
    Sorry.

I use a Lenovo T61 Thinkpad (Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, WinXP) runnijg Beyond and LivePro and an APC40 in a sliding top flightcase.

http://www.magma-bags.de/produkte/co...tion-40-e.php3

Also housed in there are a powered USB hub, and the PC end of a 4 port USB extender.

This runs 1 to 5 FB3's currently.

I used to use a touch screen but don't bother anymore.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    Hahahahaha, gotta love grammar.
    Huh? What's wrong with my grammar?

OH - OK, you're right. I should have written "its" instead of "it's". (This is one of the rare cases where the apostrophe is not used to denote the possessive form, but rather only to denote the contraction "it is".) My bad.

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Cool. I started looking at server cases again yesterday thanks to this thread. I'm starting to realize that may be a better choice than laptops I've been using. They're fine for some things but Beyond really would benefit from more power/memory that I've got and don't want to throw more money at aging laptops. I remember seeing Swami's set up a few months back and thinking about it too. His case is discontinued but, there are a number of other rackmount cases out there and I was reading reviews on them last night. I've got a spare Gatorcase that's the same as the Z-5 console.