Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: live shows with DJs?

Ah ok, I think i was mistaking edits in the video, for overall fast changes to the stage look.

My next job to do is revamp all my Quick FX, so I have useful colour mixes, rather than the stock technicolour ones. I agree, there are only a few 2 colour contrasting combinations that really work in my opinion, everything else just gets a bit garish. In fact, I much preferred the stock cue colours in LivePro.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by dream View Post
    I've never used Quickshow. The thing is, I can't afford it.
    Mimi offered you a price on Quickshow that was deeply discounted off retail when you ordered your projector. At that time, you could have purchased it for about $100 more than you currently have invested in your controller and software and had all this extra functionality to play with right from the start.

You decided that LSX would be better, because you didn't think you would ever want to run the projector from your laptop, but would rather want to use the built-in SD card. If you remember, I warned you against this. You should have listened to me then, because I knew this day would come.

Fortunately, you are in luck. Andrew has been working on a Live Player for LSX. He demonstrated it at the NWLEM in Portland last January. It's a work in progress, to be sure, but it was functional. It's not as nice as Quickshow, but it will allow you to load a "workspace" and trigger various cues in real-time as you're listening to music.

I don't think it's available for purchase yet, but maybe if you send Andrew a nice message, he will send you a beta copy so you can play with it.

Adam

How was working with Cal? I like to hint that I may have possibly worked with him too
    Freelance Laser Operator in L.A.
    -

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dream View Post
    she wasn't the only company who offered such price, like $420 which was still a lot for me though
    How much do you have invested at this point between the Riya DAC, the card reader, and LSX? I'll bet you're within $100 of Mimi's original price, if not closer. (Her price was a lot lower than $420, by the way. I still have the quote if you'd like me to refresh your memory.)

I don't remember you warning me against thinking that I'd never need to run from a computer
    Then your memory is poor. You said you thought you would rather run it from the card reader in auto mode, while I encouraged you to run it from the laptop from the very start. I told you that you could do much more if you ran it off a computer, and that any difficulty in supplying power to the laptop was a trivial annoyance compared to all the features and abilities you would gain, including the ability to play along live to either a DJ or a live band. I also warned you that sooner or later (and most probably sooner), you would definitely need these extra features, but you wouldn't listen.

You got hung up on a budget issue of less than $100, and then promptly decided to spend quite a bit more than that to add the battery pack and inverter to your projector. That is entirely your call, and I respect that, but it makes no sense when you had zero experience. Furthermore, my point has always been that you weren't listening to what I was telling you: namely that you would soon wish you had all these extra features in your software and controller, and that it will be much cheaper to buy them up front when you bought your first controller rather than trying to add them in later.

Now you're stuck with the prospect of buying another controller to get this feature (unless Andrew is willing to give you a beta copy of what he's been working on for free). And if you do have to buy another controller, it will be a lot more expensive now than it would have been then. (You wouldn't have even had to pay extra for shipping back then, since they could have included it with the projector shipment for almost nothing.)

This is what I was trying to warn you about. You are now traveling down the EXACT same path I did. I bought 4 different controller/software packages before I got the one that I really liked. You can well imagine the large amount of money I wasted in this process. Also, my story is not unique. *LOTS* of people have gone down this same path, and we all regret it. I had hoped you would avoid the same fate, but you weren't listening. THAT is why I stopped offering you advice. (When you ask someone for help and then discount their advice because you think you know better, it usually pisses people off.)

So now you're exactly where I (and others) always knew you would be. The only thing that has changed is that you might get lucky and be able to get some of the features you want with Andrew's new live player addition - assuming you can get it. Otherwise, start saving up for another controller.

Adam

I think there is only one constant with lasers, and that is that new users will ask advice, be given good advice, and then ignore it.

I myself bought as cheaply as I could (it can't be that complex can it? Alphalite XC in my case) against the advice of a few people (although there are always the people who will recommend cheap but unfit for 'proper' work options, like LaseyBoy...), before I realised sometimes you've just go to put your hand in your pocket.

I pretty much don't even think about the money now, other than to evaluate if it can be paid back from work in a reasonable time frame.
    Frikkin Lasers

buying Quickshow would mean I wouldn't be able to buy an SD card DAC, which I needed, and still need more than extra features in software.
    Without wanting to go over old ground (too much ), why was it that the FB3-SE wasn't suitable? Was it something to do with .ILD format support?
    Frikkin Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Without wanting to go over old ground (too much ), why was it that the FB3-SE wasn't suitable?
    It was completely suitable, Adam. Mimi was even willing to sell him quickshow and swap the DAC for an older FB3-SE. He just decided that he didn't want to go that route. And now he has "selective memory" about the issue.

Was it something to do with .ILD format support?
    At the time he didn't know enough about the ilda format to know that it was a limitation, so no. (And in his case, he was developing his own custom content anyway, so double-no.)

I think there is only one constant with lasers, and that is that new users will ask advice, be given good advice, and then ignore it.
    Yup, that about sums it up. Sigh.

Adam

I don't know what she's told you, but I certainly haven't heard her suggest me to buy Quickshow with an Pangolin DAC with XD card reader instead, at the same price as Quickshow, which I could afford. Unless there was misunderstanding in english (there was a lot in our emails).
    Shame that wasn't made clear. Yes, you should be able to buy the QS software with an older version of the FB3, which has an SD card on it.

They did 2 FB3's with cards, the SE (bare board which you have to case yourself) or the XE, which came later and was already cased and ready to go.
    Frikkin Lasers

Well, sometimes i wish i could buy an fb3 and live pro (i have no need for QS), but the amount required cannot be justified for a hobbist
    "its called character briggs..."

QS is essentially free. Before Quickshow existed you just bought the hardware and it came with the suite of free software known as LA Studio. But even back then it was the hardware you were paying for not the software.
    Frikkin Lasers