Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: live shows with DJs?

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by dream View Post
    I'm done with this.
    You sure don't sound like you're done!

did you not remember how I found out there were DACs with SD card readers *after* I bought RIYA Lite DAC, and even made a topic here and you said it was a pity nobody mentioned it before?
    Yes, I remember this. It changes nothing. The fact remains that you could have had Quickshow with the FB3-SE for $350. That is still within $100 of what you spent on the card-reader DAC and LSX, even if you exclude the Riya lite controller. (And it's also one hell of a great price - a fact that I reminded you of several times. But you didn't appreciate just how good the deal really was. I'm not sure you realize it even now.)

did I mention in this thread how I needed a video tracer and people here told they didn't think Pangolin had that feature? Yes I did.
    And I also told you that the Pangolin VST engine would probably do the job for you. I even offered to test it for you, but the test images you sent were far to complex to render as ILDA frames, and I told you that several times in private messages. Instead of sending other frames or video files with fewer points, you just dropped the whole issue, and now you're blaming me?

For the record, I still think that VST will work just fine. But I'll be damned if I'll stick my neck out for you again.

Look, there's a reason why I stopped helping you, and it should be vividly apparent to you now. You act like an asshole. You were demanding instant answers to all sorts of unrelated issues, and you kept changing your mind on what you wanted to do. You continually deny this, but I'll have you know that *several* other PL members have mentioned that they have had exactly the same experience with you. So if you do nothing else, LEARN FROM THIS.

Maybe in person you are the worlds most interesting man. But on-line, in a text-only medium, and especially when you have questions, you come off like a spoiled, impatient child. And again, this is not just my opinion.

how about you finally listen what I need before giving an advice?
    Are you kidding me? The first think I did was to send you a *LIST* of questions asking you details about what you wanted to do, where you wanted to do it, and how much money you wanted to spend, to name just a few. I did that long before I offered you any advice. Have you forgotten that already? (If you have, I probably still have that original PM stored... I'd be happy to send it to you again to refresh your memory.)

The first thing I always do is try to figure out what the person wants to accomplish. *THEN* I can start to offer advice.

You seem to have a very selective memory. Let's try this... Do you remember that I initially suggested Lasercam to you, before you admitted that you would be using your projector for musical events with a DJ and/or a band? (In the castle, remember?) If not, I'd be happy to send you the PM where I first suggested it.

Remember this: This is not my first rodeo. I know enough to get a clear view of the end goal before starting something. But you kept moving the goal, and towards the end you were openly hostile about the whole matter. That's when I bowed out. If you continue this behavior, expect others to do the same.

Adam

The bottom line is, without getting into who said what etc...., is an SD card will always be limiting.

Wherever possible, you always want a pc connected as it gives you more control and access to more show content. SD functions and space are always limited. I'm sure that was mentioned in other threads to others if not to yourself.

The only real practical use for an SD is a remote installation where maybe content is very limited or repetitive.

With software, whatever package you buy there are compromises. It's always about finding the right one. That's where the advice comes in. At the top end it becomes much easier because some such as Beyond are very comprehensive. At the bottom end, packages are always limited (otherwise no-one would ever buy the high end stuff!), so it's always about examining what you want most live play or pre-programmed shows (bearing in mind show programming takes a lot of time and thus preparing a whole evening's worth of shows is a mammoth undertaking of both time and inspiration, and requires you to have full control of the evenings content right down to the exact mixes to be played).

LSX does shows very well at its price point. QS does live play very well and has decent show features. The FB3 offers discounted upgrading. It's all about choices, identifying your LONG term needs.....and advice......to avoid expensive mistakes.
    Last edited by White-Light; 04-07-2014 at 00:19.

Quote Originally Posted by dream View Post
    This is what I'm talking about. You don't read before replying.
    In fact, I do read before replying. That's why I knew this day would come. You are the one who has forgotten much of what transpired.

I wasn't offered "Quickshow with the FB3-SE"
    Yes, you were. Whether you were in too much of a hurry to realize that fact or too stupid to ask for clarification if there was a question is up for debate, but the fact remains that this was the offer laid out for you.

I didn't know they came together.
    They don't. Quickshow normally comes with the latest version of the FB3 (which does not have the card reader). Mimi was willing to swap out one of the older FB3-XE models for you free of charge.

This is what I mean when I say you don't listen. Even now, you have no idea what her offer really was. And yet you accuse me of not reading before replying? Sheesh!

What I don't appreciate is a company adding stuff to my purchase without notifying me first.
    That has no bearing on this issue. For the record, I agree with you in theory, but after speaking with both Mimi and Winni, I understand why it happened. They were trying to give you what you wanted, but you insisted on micro-managing everything. That's fine if you had that intent from the start, but initially you just told them "here's the projector I want, this is what I want to do with it, so give me a price". They made some assumptions based on what you told them and gave you a price. It was only later, after you started price-shopping the scanners and the lasers that you got very specific about whether analog modulation would be worth the extra money and so fourth.

In any event, I didn't have anything to do with that.

What I don't appreciate is software developer not replying to my emails after I bought a product he sells because "he's busy"
    You were warned about this several times. Andrew has posted about this before: he has a day job, a wife, and a child. He can't be in two places at once. LSX is affordable, but sometimes that means that you have to wait a while to get in touch with him. I made that fact clear to you in PM's long before you bought LSX. I also told you that if instant service and support was going to be an issue for you, then you would be better off with a Pangolin product.

They think I'm an asshole? I don't care what they think frankly.
    You seem to care enough to post about it here... More to the point though, even if you really don't care, you need to realize that your behavior is affecting the way other people deal with you - in a negative way. If you want to improve the responses you get from people, improve your attitude.

Re: VST... others replying that it "probably couldn't do that" and finally someone else replied in this forum telling how more than few hundred frames crashed it.
    The "few hundred frames" post was in reference to a batch automation script. I've used VST with video files that run for several minutes with no problems, and so have many others. It also works in real-time with a video camera. Here again, you have incomplete information and you are jumping to conclusions. I honestly was ready to do more testing for you, in part to help you out, but also to get some more experience playing around with VST. But your attitude put me off.

you just ignore some stuff before replying
    I try to ignore the irrelevant banter, yes. But the salient points I quote and respond to. That doesn't mean I don't read every word before replying.

You say you don't want to help me anymore. Then why do you want to prove that I was wrong?
    Two reasons:

1) in the hope that you might mend your ways and become less of an asshat, and
    2) as an example to others.

Adam

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 11:37.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

this is exactly why i rant about the need for laser show applications to support a standardized interchangeable file format.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Wizardry View Post
    This is why most professional laserists have multiple software packages. It is quite common to do frame creation in one software and then actually perform the laser show using a completely different software.

There is no one size fits all software. I know plenty of high end laserists that have Lasergraph DSP, LSX, custom software of their own design and also multiple versions of Pangolin in their studio. I know of others that create content in Pangolin and perform live with Full Auto.

It's all a function of what you are wanting to do and what you feel comfortable with.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.