Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Temperature controlling the projector base plate?

aren't base plates and heat sinks the same thing?

you mount the laser modules to a base plate to remove the heat, I mount my laser modules to a big heat sink to remove the heat. same thing, just one has fins one doesn't.

indeed you really don't need to go down the tec route, fans are just fine.

look at the spec sheet for the diode you plan to use, for example 445. they can run at up to 60-70 degrees, so if you are running one at 20-25 degrees over driving a little wont be an issue.
    im pretty sure reds also are happy to be ran at like 50 degrees.

the fans on my projectors don't come on till the base plate/heat sink reaches 25 degrees. once the base plate goes before 25 degrees the fans stay on for 2 mins then turn off. as I say I have no issues at all at keeping the base plate at 25 degrees

an yes heat sink which is my base plate is 300mm by 250mm by 40mm thick
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

aren't base plates and heat sinks the same thing?
    Absolutely, I'd just read your post as perhaps suggesting they weren't.

To TEC a heatsink would require a flat surface for the TEC to fix to, and really, the heatsink wants to be on the hot side of the peltier, not the actual surface the peltier is cooling.

So, depending on whether you are fan cooling or peltier cooling really dictates whether the fins are on the baeplate directly, or the other side of the peltier to the baseplate.....

Anyway..... it sounds as if well interfaced heatsinks and fans will probably get me where I want to be.

im pretty sure reds also are happy to be ran at like 50 degrees.
    This is the thing, the new Oclaro reds state that the max power (700mW) reduces if over 30C (to ~550mW iirc). So it'd be good to get a way under 30C if possible, particularly if I wanted to drive them even harder than 700mW. So thats where the TEC thinking came in.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I see where your coming from on the red, I'm pretty sure my dual 500mw red doesn't reach 30 degrees just mounted to the base plate/heat sink.

Sounds like you would benefit from my temp sensor and fan controller kit

It has four probes so you can monitor the temp of each module and the baseplate. When the base plate gets to a pre set temp which you can set it triggers the fans.

So when you first turn your projector on or its cold the fans don't come on and pointlessly cool a cold heat sink
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I think my current temp controller will probably do the job as a fan controller, but thanks anyway
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

No worries .
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

now im on a computer this is how it looks

Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Norty,

Based on what you are planning to do I would avoid the TECs. A lot of extra steps and very little if any potential benefit. With the thermal path being so large between the fins and the base plate just use a thermal pad or enough grease and bolt them down hard. A little attention to flatness for the more concentrated thermal path out of the diode mount base would be worth it. Get a little grinding compound and lap the mount to the base plate in the area where it will be mounted. Use grease or indium and screw down hard.

I love to experiment. If I was into cars, it would be the carburetor/injector, porting and polishing or more likely exchanging turbo housings, but I wouldn't be doing this on the company truck. I fully understand the importance of practically and even that isn't boring; it makes money.

Andy that looks beautiful bro.