Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home-Grown OPSL

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I have two first order, high quality, coated quartz, Brewster angle, BRFs in micrometer tunable mounts from picosecond dye lasers.
    I found the same BRFs are used in IR as Visible, ie the ones for a certain tunable TI:Saph had the same BRF part numbers as the visible dye.

I found installing BRFs to require a USB spectrometer, nothing more. Its just time consuming to find the correct tuning, but the sweet spot across the BRF disk is broad, like 40-50% of the area of the disk. Most high gain lasers stay lasing somewhat at the peak of the gain curve even when the BRF is a mile off in tuning, then the beam "snaps" to the desired wavelength as the correct BRF rotation and x-y tilt is reached. BRFs have multiple orders, lots of conditions will lase, but there is one place the intracavity loss will be exceptional low and the tuning sharp. I found them not to be a mystery component, just they require persistence.

I would not try to tune one without a CCD spectrometer if I could help it, but its doable.

Talk to me guys.... They are setting here in a drawer.

Custom KTP/BBO is inexpensive by Junktronix/Planters standards if you know where to look...

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 04-15-2014 at 12:22.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Thanks for all that info Steve and the generous offers. I'm afraid that I personally can't take on a project like this. Even if I had the proper equipment, my lack of expertise in this area would surely put an abrupt stop to any progress made
    Maybe someone can take those off your hands , get them out of the drawer, and put 'em to work Thanks everybody for your responses to this thread. Cheers!