Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pangolin Quickshow - Beam Show question

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity6 View Post
    Hey Adam, I heard that the scanner tuning tutorial you did at NWLEMII will be released as a video. Is this true? (and if so, will you plz edit me out of it? I'm in the witness protection program)
    I know it was filmed, but I don't know if it will ever see the light of day. Either way, I'm not involved in that at all. The guy from the radio station was the one filming it. (Friend of LaserLackey, I think?) But I haven't heard anything more about the video since the event.

Quote Originally Posted by djem View Post
    And I can garante that I'm not overdriving the scan, or having bad color blanking.
    From the pictures you posted of the ILDA test pattern, your blanking offset is definitely not set correctly. Look at the two sets of horizontal lines at the top of the pattern. Those lines should have a break in the middle, and the short vertical line is supposed to be in the exact center of the break between the lines. (See this article for more information.)

In the picture you posted, both of the lines on the left extend way too far over to the right. This is a clear sign that you need to adjust your blanking offset.

I suggest you get that adjusted correctly first, before you mess around with any other settings.

Adam

It looks to me like the software is drawing a clockwise circle then a counterclockwise circle, repeating ad infinitum, therefore causing the line and requiring some fine tuning to make the endpoints of this 360 degree meet perfectly. Wouldn't it be easier to draw a circle continuously in one direction? Send a cosine to X and a sine to Y? Easier on the scanners, too? This seems so basic, that if it's not how a circle is drawn in software, how is it done?

Also, it would be nice if the help file that comes with Quickshow also explained the Vector Display Settings tab in Projector Setup.

The gap inside the circle can be compensated by means of Vector settings. The gap caused by bigger number of anchor points than required. The screenshot show the location of sliders. Small number of anchor points will give smoother visual result for the circle.

The change in QS mentioned in previous post oriented on additional and automatic adjustments. This is not a fix, it more like a simplification for the user.

Best Regards,

Alexey.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VectorSettings.png  

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

is has been *very* difficult in the past for quickshow users to get any information on how to use the vector settings to optimize the quality of their scanned projections.

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ector+settings
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ector+settings

thank you for this information. will you be updating the quickshow documentation to include this information? it may solve future support issues.

Quote Originally Posted by eNOT View Post
    The gap inside the circle can be compensated by means of Vector settings. The gap caused by bigger number of anchor points than required. The screenshot show the location of sliders. Small number of anchor points will give smoother visual result for the circle.

The change in QS mentioned in previous post oriented on additional and automatic adjustments. This is not a fix, it more like a simplification for the user.

Best Regards,

Alexey.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I believe its exactly the same in Beyond Alexey with the QS Workspace or presumably cues imported from that WS if you have the Beyond Workspace. So the affected cues might need looking at there as well.

BTW, I haven't tried since your post as I don't have the laser conveniently to hand but when I tried before, the blanking adjustments only shifted the tails not eliminated them.
    Last edited by White-Light; 04-16-2014 at 02:32. Reason: Typo

For what it's worth, the changes Alexey suggested are just immediate-term fixes. Also, I insist that good scanners do not show this problem. Only a small number of clients are having this problem, otherwise it would have been solved years ago. Nevertheless, we're working on some internal changes that will solve the problem for crappy scanners. And then our vector settings can remain a mystery ;-)

Bill

I tried the QS demo.
    The QS is great software but I need a show player. (similar MB 2.0 Show paylist manager)
    How can I play more selected show in QS? Only manual start available?
    Cannot be compiled into a shows list on timeline or with timer?

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Nevertheless, we're working on some internal changes that will solve the problem for crappy scanners. And then our vector settings can remain a mystery ;-)

Bill

so, today we learn that kvant use crappy scanners in their projectors.

good. glad i didn' t buy one
    "its called character briggs..."

Well to be fair, they are only rated for 28k ILDA and people like Al have confirmed they distort at 30k. So given that some 'only' 30k Chinese scanners get called crappy too, I'd say they're in good company
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Crappy is in the eye of the beholder (and person doing the writing). For my entire life, I've worked with only professional-level scanners, exclusively made in the USA. It wasn't until around 10 years ago that Chinese companies were even producing scanners (copies of the Cambridge 6800 from 1992 -- hehe, sort of like most assault rifles are copies of what one Russian engineer came up with in 1947!)

What Kvant did was purchase the PARTS of the Chinese scanners, and then assembled them in-house, to get a higher level of quality. The quality level was not on par with professional-level scanners made in the USA, but they were better than many others we have seen.

Kvant sold good quality projectors at prices well below what they would have costed otherwise, and Kvant always offered Cambridge scanners as an option. So anyone buying one of their projectors had a choice -- bargain-basement prices, or pay a bit more and get good scanners.

Now that we're in the game with the Compact 506, we're giving people both -- bargain-basement scanner prices, and also good quality. And so it's settled. Although Kvant was the first manufacturer to jump on this, others have followed.

@ Whiteg, please send me a private email and we'll see what we can do for you. What you want to do, in fact, may be possible.

Bill