Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pangolin

Welp, as far as differences go, fundamentally they are pretty darn close. Both are embedded "computers on a board", the CPU on the QM2000 is the Motorola Coldfire which has nice onboard DSP capability (similar parallel processing operations usually afforded only by ASIC/FPGA as used in the RSDI showlink), and lots of processing horsepower, The Flashback3, has an Atmel variety of the good old 8051. Both have onboard memory capable of holding a show. The QM2000 uses PC100 SDRAM which is many times faster than the Flash memory on the Flashback3, as far as how fast it has to be to load laserframes in real time, only Bill can probably answer that. The QM2000 has an "expansion connectors" as well as direct PCI Interface which allows hookup of an IDE CD-ROM drive like in the CD2000, or the QM2000.NET card, the Flashback3 has much more limited internal I/O and interface. As far as D/A, I didn't take the time to look at datasheets and compare the two, but the QM2000 has more channels, ie (8 color control for the QM2k, and 4 channels for the FB3), 12bit DAC resolution for the FB3, vs 16bit resolution for the QM2k, I can tell you the analog output stage on the QM2000 looks much more robust. Remeber the Flashback3 was designed to run any shows (cues) created on LD2000 as a standalone device, so by design its hardware must be capable, and similar in performance. I'm sure I am not 100% accurate here (after all I don't work for pangolin), and I will probably be corrected, but I think these are pretty close to the list of differences between the hardware platforms, the rest is all software on the PC.

Lightbulb

I am very happy with the intro set I just bought and talked with Bill on the phone about both products before I made my decision. I would like to try and make a little money back on my projector so I went and got the intro kit. Although wanting and doing are two different things though. I am sure that the LA-Freak will not have all the features of even the intro so I am not concerend of the cost difference. I also like the fact of it being a pci card. PICE might be an interesting evolution though. I don't want to have another "box to tote around, although it could go into the projector. I wouldn't mind grabbing one if i could afford to build a second projector for a slave unit.

buffo took the reply out of my mind on the "expensive lasers". All our lasers are "cheap" in the cosmic scheme of things. My 50mW blue that measures 75mW cost me $500 plush shipping on eBay. Granted it was my most expensive laser, but it IS my blue. I want Bill's lil gas white light projector...

Thumbs up

Still learning something each day of the pangolin LD2000 software!!
    I think it is a huge step from the Flashback3 to QM2000.
    I newer tried the Flashback3 card, but I am willing to try it out. (I will order it shortly) I was thinking of adding it into my 100mw/150mw green lasersystem, just for use for my sms2laser software from pangolin.
    This will be a low cost solution for me.

Must say that I will order the "Flashback3 Evaluation Kit", because I intend to use it for commercial use

Pangolin FB3 QS/LivePro/SMS2Laser
    Riya MultiBus
    Pangolin LD2000 Pro

Flashback 3 looks very cool to me. Small, self contained, and elegant. 12 bits is good too, if it's ok with the wide angles of WideMoves (which have an analog equivalent to 12 bit res according to specs), then this is an increment that isn't going to be visible on narrower scans. It's plenty for colours too, at least it won't be the weak link. Linearity of colour variance by analog mod of DPSS or diodes is going to be worse, you'd have to use ultrafast PWM mod to get better accuracy than 12 bit colour will manage. I don't know the details of microprocessors, I get foozled by the enormity of the subject every time I look at it but I try to follow on sci.electronics.components, and these Atmel devices are rated highly by many who do know the subject. Loading from flash memory might be slower, but if the processor has a fast cache that might be enough. A few laser frames don't take much space, so I think a fast cache will hold a few of them.

I still like the idea of software and an adapted soundcard best, but the Flashback 3 is something I want to get, and the only thing stopping me is lack of money. Being able to use different software to control it is a very nice idea.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    Flashback 3 looks very cool to me. Small, self contained, and elegant. 12 bits is good too, if it's ok with the wide angles of WideMoves (which have an analog equivalent to 12 bit res according to specs), then this is an increment that isn't going to be visible on narrower scans. It's plenty for colours too, at least it won't be the weak link. Linearity of colour variance by analog mod of DPSS or diodes is going to be worse, you'd have to use ultrafast PWM mod to get better accuracy than 12 bit colour will manage. I don't know the details of microprocessors, I get foozled by the enormity of the subject every time I look at it but I try to follow on sci.electronics.components, and these Atmel devices are rated highly by many who do know the subject. Loading from flash memory might be slower, but if the processor has a fast cache that might be enough. A few laser frames don't take much space, so I think a fast cache will hold a few of them.

I still like the idea of software and an adapted soundcard best, but the Flashback 3 is something I want to get, and the only thing stopping me is lack of money. Being able to use different software to control it is a very nice idea.
    Just to clear a few things up

Both the QM2000, and the FB3 have 8bit color channels. The difference being the QM has 16bit X-Y, and the FB3 has 12bit. 8bit color is more than enough..

From my understanding, the smart media is only used for FB3 operation in standalone/DMX modes. When the FB3 runs as a computer output device from LivePRO, or the new software, the smart media is not used. Rather the FB3 is functioning as a frame buffer..
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Despite the fact me running Pangolin's competitor system I embrace Pangolin. Excellent system.! Plus even basic package comes with all software you will ever need. And most important...their customer service is excellent.
    Last edited by Dr Laser; 04-26-2007 at 20:35.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!