Thread: Oh, very cool!

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default Oh, very cool! Pangolin Media 5.5 box.

Anybody know what this costs?? Pangolin does it again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p-0x...types=og.likes

I see an investment happening!
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 04-11-2014 at 06:39.

Is it just me, or does it appear that they have 6 FB3's installed? It would seem that the lower right unit (looking at the front) would have to be the time-code unit, since that would match up with the time code outputs on the back, but it sure looks like an FB3 from the front... What gives?

Also, I agree - what's the price? (Got a feeling it's not cheap.)

Adam

Wow - nice!
    Almost makes me wish I had all new FB3's instead of my QM's!

Hmm, I wonder if there's a mod that would let you slide a couple of QM.nets in the case in lieu of a row of FB3's...
    (Probably unlikely, but sure would be cool!!)
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

If this is the Pangolin Media 5.5 case (maybe change the title eh Brad there's nothing here to tell anyone whats being discussed without clicking the yootooob link...) then I emailed Justin for a price last night.

I must say though, I think they've missed a trick with it.

I really don't want/need a box AT FRONT OF HOUSE with me, and LOTS of ILDA cable running to stage. I already have this sort of mess.

It needs to have the option for adding an ethercon input to a USB extender, and for there to be a remote input for the E stop. REALLY fundamental functionality if you ask me.

I'm tempted to get one if the price is remotely reasonable, but I'll have to hack it to make it work as needed. And then I'll need to find out if there's space inside for the extra extender hardware. Certainly, one of the USB ports could easily become an ethercon.

in fact, I'm almost a bit annoyed that someone has clearly gone to so much trouble to design and build a product that doesn't address the one issue most pro users have with the FB3! Its a bit 'all show, no go' currently
    But maybe this is by design, in order to protect the FB4 functionality. I've linked Pangolin to this thread too, so they can see what the prospective user base think.

I wonder if this is a 3rd party developed product (hence the European accent in the vid) that Pangolin are licensing.
    Last edited by norty303; 04-11-2014 at 04:42.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

It wouldn't let me edit the title as it appears initially but, I updated it once you click on the thread - and the OP to make reference to Pango.

It costs $2k...

I saw 1900 euro pricing on it
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Is it just me, or does it appear that they have 6 FB3's installed? It would seem that the lower right unit (looking at the front) would have to be the time-code unit, since that would match up with the time code outputs on the back, but it sure looks like an FB3 from the front... What gives?

Also, I agree - what's the price? (Got a feeling it's not cheap.)

Adam

It will house an Enttec DMX Pro as well as the FB3's.

I mentioned to Pangolin elsewhere that it would benefit from Ethernet so as Norty says the box can be installed remotely thus keeping cables as short as possible. Would think it would be best designed to host both FB3's and 4's internally and Entecc ODE but with ethernet to the box.
    Last edited by White-Light; 04-14-2014 at 07:29. Reason: Improved wording

Hi guys,

I've been really buried with shipping a bunch of Compact 506s to production clients. (This week I'll be shipping more to Norty, Doctor, Absolom, Stiffler, and a few others here on PL too.) You might have seen a post on Facebook from Kvant with a picture of a kind of "array of scanners". At this point we've received a total of 25,000 orders (not including the original client for 200,000 per year) so I've had to play a heavy role in managing the production, plus putting together scanners by hand myself. We'll need to hire an additional three people to keep up with production. If anyone is in the Orlando Florida area and is looking for an entry-level assembly job, please contact me.

Although I haven't had time to pop my head in and poke around on PL, I did want to address this thread, since some of the responses have caused a bit of a stir here at Pangolin.

First let me say that I think it's important to understand that this "Media Bay" isn't meant to be all things to all people. Rather, it was meant to be one specific thing to to a certain group of people. This was put together for one particular set of clients who seem to really like it, then we showed the early production model at the Prolight & Sound show and found that there were a lot of others who liked it too (frankly, a bit to my own surprise how much people liked it). Between the showing at Prolight & Sound and a single post on Facebook, we've already sold out of the initial production run that was made.

Despite the obvious show performance scenarios that it doesn't address, this is much better than dragging around a bunch of FB3s, USB expanders, cables, etc. since it basically locates everything in a convenient single package while adding other benefits.

What I don't like is comments that it "misses the mark". Any "marks it misses" are ones we didn't intend to hit in the first place! So don't be confused about what this is supposed to be, or think that this is where we are ceasing our developments.

The amount of interest and initial sales seems to indicate that it definitely has its place. For more classic network scenarios (which are frankly obviously not addressed by this), today those are addressed in other ways, either with QM2000 or Startech.

Bill