Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Commercial NON Varienced laser shows

Default Commercial NON Varienced laser shows

There are some folks putting on large, pay to enter laser shows without any varience papers using large up to 5 watt and larger RGB lasers. is this safe? Should/can something be done about it? And what might that entail

There are and there always will be. As long as there is no audience scanning and things are done safely I don't have a problem with it personally.. Whether or not to do something about it is up to you. These kinds of shows are done all the time elsewhere in the world with no variances or anything like that since the US is one of the only countries with these kinds of laws...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by ElektroFreak View Post
    There are and there always will be. As long as there is no audience scanning and things are done safely I don't have a problem with it personally.. Whether or not to do something about it is up to you. These kinds of shows are done all the time elsewhere in the world with no variances or anything like that since the US is one of the only countries with these kinds of laws...

The issue is with accidents and liability. Imagine what the the legal fallout or the payout from a acts or venue's insurance is , if 1. A 33 year old world class heart surgeon looses a eye. Or 2. A US senator's 18 year old daughter loses a eye.

After the Moscow Incident, this is a problem. If a 18 year old who doesn't know better aims 60 watts qswitched into the audience, then you have a problem. Solid state just makes it easier.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    The issue is with accidents and liability. Imagine what the the legal fallout or the payout from a acts or venue's insurance is , if 1. A 33 year old world class heart surgeon looses a eye. Or 2. A US senator's 18 year old daughter loses a eye.

After the Moscow Incident, this is a problem. If a 18 year old who doesn't know better aims 60 watts qswitched into the audience, then you have a problem. Solid state just makes it easier.

Steve

You're certainly right! I wasn't taking those kinds of power levels into account. I think even if you have a variance, you should only be allowed to scan the audience after you have completed a government mandated course in how to do it properly.

As far as I heard there are seven 4 watt rgb and possibly one 40 watt (yes i said 40 watt) rgb as well but the latter may only be used out doors im not shure.

Quote Originally Posted by ElektroFreak View Post
    How do you feel about people with sports cars driving 175MPH on the public roads. Is it OK because most of the time they don't crash into others and kill them?

Running public laser shows without a variance is illegal. The courteous thing is to ask the laserist for a copy of their variance; if they don't have one you let them know they need it, and offer to direct them toward the correct information. Only if someone outright refuses to get a variance and continues to do a show without it would I recommend notifying authorities.

I see no reason to allow a person to continue using dangerous equipment without the legally required license. I feel the same way about licencing of doctors, structural engineers, lawyers, accountants, etc.: the licensing requirement provides for a minimum level of safety and competence.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I see no reason to allow a person to continue using dangerous equipment without the legally required license. I feel the same way about licencing of doctors, structural engineers, lawyers, accountants, etc.: the licensing requirement provides for a minimum level of safety and competence.[/QUOTE]

AMEN.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by laseralex View Post
    How do you feel about people with sports cars driving 175MPH on the public roads. Is it OK because most of the time they don't crash into others and kill them?

Running public laser shows without a variance is illegal. The courteous thing is to ask the laserist for a copy of their variance; if they don't have one you let them know they need it, and offer to direct them toward the correct information. Only if someone outright refuses to get a variance and continues to do a show without it would I recommend notifying authorities.

I see no reason to allow a person to continue using dangerous equipment without the legally required license. I feel the same way about licencing of doctors, structural engineers, lawyers, accountants, etc.: the licensing requirement provides for a minimum level of safety and competence.
    You must have missed the (very important) part where I said this is how I feel PERSONALLY.. We are each entitled to feel one way or another.. to each their own. Also, my statement was based on my assumption that we were discussing much lower-powered systems (although that's my fault for not reading the original post well enough)..

Apparently this individual has been running non varienced shows for the past 8 years or more he has never had nor considerd ever getting a variance and has installed non varienced laser systems in some large scale club enviroments he has done many many shows with this equipment and as of recently has aquired his 40 watt rgb most of these shows if not all except for the upcoming one have been "underground" such as raves that are not for general public viewing

in all honesty i think that he is doing these shows safely or he most likely would have been shut down or sued by now my whole reason for starting this thread is to see if this is a common issue that is being done frequently by others as well but i feel that when getting into 4 watt or most especialy 40 watt lasers that there is a safety issue that needs to be adressed be the very high power lof these units and as far as i know they are all hand bulit (i don't know if they are up to saftey standerds of a varienced laser or not or if they even have infrared filters (as most cheap lasers do not) anyway im not here trying to be a snitch or point fingers but I think the only way this person is and can run these shows is because he is non varienced being aquiring them for these kind of outputs might be impossible you would know more about that than I

@clegg
    give us some more info's.
    who is that individual you takk about?