Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1-3 Watt RGB

Question 1-3 Watt RGB

So I have read and read and read and read and will read more.. BUT

I'm looking to step my laser game up but not sure which manufacturer to start with. I wish I had the time to build my own projector, but I don't.

I've contacted Kvant, CT Lasers, and Able-Laser.

Do you guys have any other recommendations as far as manufacturers? Able is based out of china and seems to have very good prices for varianced lasers.

Will be used mainly for area beam shows, if it can do gfx great.
    Budget is +-$5,000 and must be Legal in the US / Variance.

Thanks guys!

Oh I'm in Houston, TX FYI.
    Last edited by JD3; 09-23-2013 at 17:53.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

a 500mW 637 module with <1mrad and 3mm diameter?

ask for a photograph of the ilda12k test pattern projected at 30kpps and 8 degrees from 10 meters.

also, since the able-laser website has logos for ilda and FDA, ask for copies of their variance paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by JD3 View Post
    Able Lasers just quoted me for a 2.5w
    "USD3600 includes flight case for that 2.5w rgb.
    R:500mw/637nm, G:1w/532nm, B:1w/445nm
    CNI diodes, 10khz analog modulation
    R:<1.0mrad divergence, 3mm diameter
    G:<1.0mrad divergence, 3mm diameter
    B:<1.2mrad divergence, 3mm diameter
    DT40 pro scanners, scan speed is 40kpps, 60 scan angle
    RJ45 network & ILDA DB25 in/out ports
    Housing is sealed, dust-proof
    N.W:10kgs, Dimension:309*226*191mm
    Warranty: 12 months for diodes, 24 months for scanners, 100% money back if dissatisfaction within 7 days."
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    a 500mW 637 module with <1mrad and 3mm diameter?

ask for a photograph of the ilda12k test pattern projected at 30kpps and 8 degrees from 10 meters.

also, since the able-laser website has logos for ilda and FDA, ask for copies of their variance paperwork.
    I have already asked haha waiting for reply...

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

For what it's worth, between the two, I think Able Lasers is your better bet. I can only speak from the position of here-say and what I've read and researched. I don't believe Motionloops has the greatest of reputations. (Not trying to be slanderous.) Plus, to look at the specs, you're getting a better projector from Able. Able has, according to what I have heard, been one of the few Asian companies to actually take the necessary steps to get their products varianced for use in the US. I've never seen one in person but, pictures seem to indicate above average build quality. This flies in the face of US manufacturers such as X-Laser and CT Lasers, both of which I know personally. I understand why their products cost more. Still, if in fact it is, a varianced, USA legal projector, that's not a bad price. It's slightly more expensive than a very similar product from Lightspace called the Pluto II and looks very much the same but, that variance approval is huge. Do your research and check the CDRH database for Able Lasers AND that particular model. Keep in mind one thing though and that is, if you have an issue with the unit, shipping back and forth from China gets costly and takes time - time you may not have if you're doing paid shows - without a back up system in place. That's an advantage to something from X-Laser or CT Lasers.

Also... some food for thought. Be very careful in what types of work you accept. Don't oversell what you cannot adequately deliver. Believe it or not, 2.5 watts isn't a lot of real world power - especially if you find yourself competing against other types of lighting, HVAC systems that are sucking away your haze/fog. (You do have quality astmosphere producing equipment right? Not just a basic fog machine.) And a host of other things you may encounter. One RGB laser by itself, isn't going to be a big "wow" for people. Part of that is simply the nature of what you're working with. To best see a laser, you need to be some distance away from it because remember, up close, those beams above your head may only be 2-4 feet wide because of the scanning angle. You need to be further back to really take in the wow factor. Perhaps 50-100 feet optimally. Now... for a venue that big, you probably will want more power unless it's pretty dark. Which it most likely won't be because again... it's that big. Chances are there are lights from a bar, maybe some other par lights, moving heads, perhaps uplighting, bands with LED walls, white Christmas lights in artificial decorative trees, doors opening to service hallways or lobbys letting in other light. All that light is taking away from the "wow" of your laser.

I have that problem. I've painfully learned from experience the need for multiple and higher powered projectors, and other non-coherent light sources because, as it was described to me... lasers are not cake. They are the icing. Your music and you're other lighting is the cake. Run them too much or too often and they lose all "wow" factor and people don't pay attention any longer.

Just a couple things to think about. It's a money pit!!! $5,000 is pocket change.
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 09-23-2013 at 14:15.

on the laserworld note..
    think its worth tossing in a set of these on my cs lasers? the factory dichros look like they let alot of light pass through (the wrong color lol)
    http://lasershowparts.com/store/inde...&productId=152

i'd call onestoplasershop.com and ask for the "high efficiency dichros"

on the laserworld note..
    think its worth tossing in a set of these on my cs lasers? the factory dichros look like they let alot of light pass through (the wrong color lol)
    http://lasershowparts.com/store/inde...&productId=152
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

As far as motionloops, a good friend of mine Ron owns the company and has also started Beyond Laser Systems in Austin Texas.
    They are in the process of making the first units now as they just received their variance in june for the new units. I have seen the diagrams and the manuals, they look like very solid units on paper and ron knows his stuff / excellent customer service.
    That's why I did make a point to say "here - say" I really don't know much about them and am running on a 48 year old memory of reading old posts.

CT is looking like its going to cost me around $7,000-$8,000 for what i would want through them (2 or 3 watt). A bit out of reach right now.
    Yup. Been there. Have one.

I completely understand what you mean when it comes to being able to deliver. I stick to small/medium venues and use a hurricane haze 2d along with a pair of geyser RGB foggers. I run chauvet high-performance haze fluid in both.
    Also on that note I never use less than two projectors in a show. one alone doesnt cut it for me haha.

My curse is my love of symmetry. I will always use two identical lasers for a show, or two identical flanking with a stronger center, or tier 4 flanking units with a more powerfull center, etc etc etc. so every time i make a purchase i have to buy two before i can upgrade to a more powerfull center
    Ok. I hear me talking now. I'm very much the same way. Symmetry and redundancy. It's a curse, I tell ya! I just got two Geysers about a month ago. Fun aren't they. I had one crap out on me though and am waiting for the replacement to be mailed. Make sure to always use the Chauvet fluid. I have found in my experience that, even though it shouldn't, other brands tend to clog up Chauvet equipment. Even good stuff like Froggys.

There ARE some who have had success with their Laserworld equipment. I'm at 50/50. One that's crap and one that's not quite so crappy. (Been there - done that too.) I usually hear people with the higher priced units have fared better.

What are the main sorts of gigs you do?

I do love the Geysers! Fun little toys. I do have to return one this week as well, it just sits there and smokes... and spits fluid out.. oh well.

If your not using that CT ill baby sit it for a while

I do nightclubs, electronic music events, "raves" if you will haha

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    i'd call onestoplasershop.com and ask for the "high efficiency dichros"
    Do they have those 3 axis adjustable mounts as well? thats whats selling me. the current CS mounts are, well.. allen screw. ROYAL pain to get aligned when you tighten the screw haha

you can get them with mm1 clones or you can mount them to any sort of mount you want.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dichros-and-brackets.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	303.3 KB 
ID:	40076

Do they have those 3 axis adjustable mounts as well? thats whats selling me. the current CS mounts are, well.. allen screw. ROYAL pain to get aligned when you tighten the screw haha