Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Improving Red (Maybe ALL) Beams

did you try the oclaro yet eric ??
    itching to see your results
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Yep. Uploading the video now.

Will it be on the Tech Ingredients channel?

Yes it will be. I'll post a link as soon as it's available

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    Yep. Uploading the video now.
    Ooops worded that wrong , did not mean the video just wanted to know ,thumbs up or down on the oclaro ?
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

...and I'm still here, patiently waiting for the upload!

I would say thumbs down for now. The video should be available tonight and even though the main theme of the video is a comparison of the Oclaro and the Mitsu P73, I spend most of the time walking through the optical train that improves the performance of the Mitsu diode. Despite a considerable effort to center the Oclaro and adjust the lenses, this diode does not produce as small a spot as the P73. It could be that this diode needs a different prescription to minimize spherical aberration, but further improvement would have to be pretty substantial before it would become superior to the proven P73. The power appears similar because I run both diodes in series at the same current and although the wings are less prominent, the central core is bigger and does not snap to as sharp a focus with the Oclaro. This is why I believe there may be some residual spherical aberration in my optical set up. Nonetheless, I don't want to take the time to replace both diodes in this dual and begin the optimization process all over again.

So, I could be convinced if others discover a more optimal optics arrangement, but in the meantime I am going to put these diodes on hold and work on something else.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    I would say thumbs down for now. The video should be available tonight and even though the main theme of the video is a comparison of the Oclaro and the Mitsu P73, I spend most of the time walking through the optical train that improves the performance of the Mitsu diode. Despite a considerable effort to center the Oclaro and adjust the lenses, this diode does not produce as small a spot as the P73. It could be that this diode needs a different prescription to minimize spherical aberration, but further improvement would have to be pretty substantial before it would become superior to the proven P73. The power appears similar because I run both diodes in series at the same current and although the wings are less prominent, the central core is bigger and does not snap to as sharp a focus with the Oclaro. This is why I believe there may be some residual spherical aberration in my optical set up. Nonetheless, I don't want to take the time to replace both diodes in this dual and begin the optimization process all over again.

So, I could be convinced if others discover a more optimal optics arrangement, but in the meantime I am going to put these diodes on hold and work on something else.
    Hey planters,

Do you happen to know the beam width after the correction optics but before spatial filtering (if you have done that)? (on the Mits)

-Hybrid
    1x - 2W RGB DT40Pro (Currently building)
    1x - 1W RGB PT25K
    ------------------------------------
    EtherDream, LaserShowExpress, Ipad (TouchOSC)
    -Hybridz0rz

The width is the same if you are talking about the core. If you allow an unlimited aperture, then the beam continues out pretty far and is always going to be clipped by the scanner mirrors.

The video is now up and you can view it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_POfjxeAEvU