Thread: Open Laser Show Dac rev 4 with arduino uno

Laser Warning Open Laser Show Dac rev 4 with arduino uno

Hello,

I just make a OLSD rev 4 with arduino uno r3 and I unable to use the software OLSDTest. OLSD is not detected. So I use the usb driver arduino uno. Are there any incompatibility with arduino uno?
    I will use the dac with HELASERSCAN it's possible ?

Default OLSD with Arduino UNO

Quote Originally Posted by macki View Post
    Hello,

I just make a OLSD rev 4 with arduino uno r3 and I unable to use the software OLSDTest. OLSD is not detected. So I use the usb driver arduino uno. Are there any incompatibility with arduino uno?
    I will use the dac with HELASERSCAN it's possible ?
    Gee whiz. I have not checked PL for a month or so. Sorry no one got back with you on your question.

The short answer is that the OLSD board will not work with the UNO Arduino boards if you are going to use them as a USB streaming DAC for use with Laser Show software. You can use it as a Stand Alone DAC for you own projects however as it is able to control all of the outputs on the board just fine. The problem lies in the fact that the UNO boards use a ATMega chip to do the USB to Serial conversion. The OLSD DAC solution relies on the FTDI based USB to Serial chips to do the streaming properly. The DLL/Code on the PC side uses the FTD2XX.DLL to interface to the chip and this is why the OLSD board is not detected when using an UNO. The other problem and this is the big reason that I have not supported the UNO yet is that the OLSD DAC uses the CTS line on the USB to Serial chip to throttle the data being streamed to it from the computer (CTS = Clear To Send = Flow Control). The UNO does not have this available.

You can get it up and running with an UNO by using a TTL-232R-5V Cable (Link - http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Docu...32R_CABLES.pdf ... you will need to hook up the RX/TX/Gnd/+5V/CTS lines. If you want to save some money look around for a compatible board or cable that uses an FTDI chip on board. It may be less expensive just to use a Arduino 2009 (Duemilanove) compatible board as these are still made and can be found on EBay, Sparkfun, SeeedStudio, etc.... Those have the FTDI chip on them.

Once you have that setup right test it with the OLSDTest application and then you can use it with HELaserScan.

Thanks, Chris

Thank you for your reply, I bought a Duemilanove and will test with HELASERSCAN
    Thanks Macki

Ok sounds good. Let me know how it goes. I will help out where I can if you need to do some troubleshooting.

Hello Cfavreau
    I just received my BTE ROBOT Main Control Board Compatible with duemilanove 2009 ATMEGA328.
    If I run this utility without the arduino, a message appears "failed to initialize the OLSD"
    Is what I need to change the arduino
    Thanks Macki

Sorry it took a few days for me to answer. I have been on vacation away from the keyboard.

The BTW Robot Main Control Board is compatible with the Arduino Duemilanove/2009 only in that it is has a ATMega328 and a USB to Serial converter. Unfortunately it does not have an FTDI USB to Serial chip on board. It has a Prolific PL-2303 chip. Again sorry for your misfortune in picking Arduino boards. Please see post #2 for an explanation.

I just ordered a card Seeeduino with a chip FT232RL

I think you will be happy with that board. I like those as they break out the CTS/RTS lines (always good for high speed serial communications). Some boards like the older Freeduino's do not so you have to solder to the FT232RL chip which has tiny thin pins. The original Arduino 2009's were OK as they broke out the pins too but they were expensive.