Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pangolin users in the UK?

Default Pangolin users in the UK?

Hiya,

I have a couple of questions really, so the title is a bit misleading, as the first is open to all nations!

Firstly, I hear tell of Pangolin's forthcoming hobbyist software. If I were planning to develop my shows over time (as I know many of you do), is there a feeling I'd be better off starting from their existing "Intro" system? I've heard nothing but good things about it, and the fact that it is card based and a little more expensive isn't really an issue!

The second question is aimed at anyone in the UK who has bought one of these sytems. Where did you buy it? And how much did you pay? I'm not sure if the prices quoted on Pangolin's site are wholesale, but if they're MRP the price I was quoted from a UK dealer has a rather substantial mark up!

Can you buy direct over here? Or does that upset the dealer network?

Thanks in anticipation to anyone who can help!

Cool

The Pangolin hobbyist system (which has not been released yet) will only be licensed for non-commercial use. So if you ever plan on doing shows for money, you're going to need the LD 2000.

Also, the LD 2000 has a lot more features than the hobbyist system will. I believe you'll still be able to play back completed shows that were originally designed with an LD 2000 system, but you won't be able to re-create all those effects in your own unique shows unless you've got the LD 2000 software. (The abstract generator, in particular, is one feature that you'll likely miss.)

If you can afford the jump to the LD 2000 intro, I'd have to say that would be the way to go.

As far as dealer pricing - I don't know. Maybe someone else has some input on that... (Or you could try contacting Pangolin directly.)

Adam

Bill Benner explained in an earlier post the reason why dealer prices are higher.
    All the dealers are expected to give high levels of support, so the support costs fall on them and thus the cost of support needs to be factored into their cost.

On the subject of UK users, I believe Karl (Banthai) uses Pangolin.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
    Bill Benner explained in an earlier post the reason why dealer prices are higher.
    All the dealers are expected to give high levels of support, so the support costs fall on them and thus the cost of support needs to be factored into their cost.

Jim
    Thanks.

I need to do a little more research, but interestingly the price I got from a US dealers website had a posted 10% discount on the manufacturers price. I somehow would feel a bit peeved at paying the 55% markup I was offered in the UK, for even the greatest support service, considering the plethora of online technical support that seems to be available!

I will keep looking!

Are there any funny tariffs? My experience with dealers (in the US of course) is that they give great discounts!

Quote Originally Posted by yaddatrance View Post
    Are there any funny tariffs? My experience with dealers (in the US of course) is that they give great discounts!
    There will probably be a customs charge, though I have no idea what customs would classify this as. If it were classed as a desktop PC component, there may be no charge at all! Either way, the maximum rate seems to be about 14% on electronics.

There is sales tax (17.5%) to be paid on top of this regardless, this would make a UK bought Pangolin Intro system a total of $2650, excluding any delivery costs.

The MRP with a worst case 14% and sales tax is around $2000. I would hope I could get it shipped for less than $650!

Yow, in that case, that is a real markup. Have you called them to check? Pangolin did drop their prices in the last year or so, maybe the local dealer never checked?

If you have no luck in england, I know of some good US dealers who have always done right by me... As you said, shipping has got to be less that $500!

Hi Yag,

We sell the whole range of Pangolin product here in the UK. We always quote the US Dollar price, which will be the same, or less, than the Pangolin US price.

If you are interested in an Intro, give us a call, and we can see if we can help you.

Best regards,

James Stewart
    www.laservisuals.com

PS, it seems that there is some interest from some of you guys for a UK get together for laser enthusiasts. Some of you that know me, already know that we are planning on doing something later in the year. Hopefully we can start to firm up the plans soon, and make a proper announcement. stay tuned!

JStewart,

Hello and welcome to the board! I have a question for you regarding the Colour Master. I did some reading on the product a while back and it seems like a great solution to a problem I have. However, when I inquired I found out your guys don't sell it anymore. Just wondering what happened?

Thanks,
    David

James,
    Is there any news on the release of Scanguard Lite Version 2?

Jim