Thread: Projector Electronics: What do they all do, and what do I really need?

Default Projector Electronics: What do they all do, and what do I really need?

I am finally starting to acquire parts for my first ground up build (well, I have a couple PIs...). I have managed to pick out my laser source (I am being lazy and going with an RGB unit from Laser-wave), scanners (506s), amps (from Steve) & power supplies, as well as come up with a plan for a case....Technically I could just wire this up to a DB25 and it would work, but my ultimate goal is a CDRH variance, so I started checking out my options. Now I am confused all over again! There are ILDA break out boards, ILDA amps, color correction boards, boards with connectors, boards without connectors, etc., etc., etc! There seems to be as many options for electronics as there are for diodes, where should I start?

Please understand that I am not speaking from CDRH varience experience here. I don't believe the color correction board is needed for CDRH. It is meant for rock solid color balance. You really don't even need one unless you're using DPSS which can vary by 10s of mW with +/- a few °F. As for breakout boards, I can't speak for CDRH but I use them because they make service VERY easy. There is something to be said about a manufacturer that builds things with service in mind e.g. Things are easily accessible (no hidden screws and bolts that require 5 different components to be removed to reach them). Breakout boards are the same. It makes drop-in replacements a cake-walk (especially when at a gig and something goes pop), it makes testing easy when troubleshooting and makes initial setup/adjustments easy. That's why I have molex plugs on 90% of the connections in my projectors.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

What kind of break out boards are you using?

Homemade.

DZ makes some good ones (not sure who is selling those though). Stanwax also sells them. http://shop.stanwaxlaser.co.uk/gener...oard-365-p.asp

Derp... right in DZ's sig.... http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...rd-Generation)

OOS though....

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
    my ultimate goal is a CDRH variance, so I started checking out my options. Now I am confused all over again! There are ILDA break out boards, ILDA amps, color correction boards, boards with connectors, boards without connectors, etc., etc., etc! There seems to be as many options for electronics as there are for diodes, where should I start?
    If you want to certify the projector, you will need a number of features (like an interlock, a class IV reset, an emission indicator, etc). In my opinion, the easiest way to get nearly all of these features in a single package is to use the Stanwax ILDA Interface board. Read the manual for this unit and it will make a lot more sense to you.

As mentioned above, you do not need a color correction board in order to certify the projector. As for the connectors on the ILDA interface board - that is mostly up to your personal preference. DZ sells boards with screw terminals, while the Stanwax board uses a ribbon connector and in-line connectors (similar to molex 51021). If you go with DZ's board, however, you will have to add the reset and emission indicator features separately. So if you'd rather have an all-in-one solution, the Stanwax board is the better option in my opinion.

Adam

I should of pointed out in the OP that my goal wasn't just obtaining a CDRH variance, but also having a top-notch, easy to service projector. I knew I wouldn't need a color correction board per se, but do I want a color correction board (I'm not completely sure what they do)? I also know CT Lasers sells a CDRH Delay and Safety Shutter Board, but it's more than twice as much as the Stanwax board (does CT's do something additional that I am not seeing?). In any case, I do appreciate the helpful advice!

Heya I just posted some pics of how I did mine in the lounge.