Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking with Gas

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default Cooking with Gas

This is on my bench right now. The cell phone camera is jerked to even out the exposure.
    There are 2 more deep red lines not visible because of poor linearity on the camera and there probably is another line overlapped with 632.8 at ~629.3. Charging the better camera's battery right now. "J" comes and goes, and is not visible in this picture. 1.96 mW total power. One tube, three mirrors, no crystals, 5 mA, mode piezo is floating.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HENE-LINES.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	311.8 KB 
ID:	43072Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140502_111030.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	855.4 KB 
ID:	43070Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GAS-cooking1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	43071

Steve

"Latest Angle to Secure Expensive Resources"
    Last edited by mixedgas; 05-02-2014 at 09:03.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Me theory based on the two of these I have seen (Sam's and mine, both on the FAQ) on top of other HeNes I have seen/own. Then, for J, I used some notes found here to speculate a wavelength. This is the only call that I am NOT confident about. The rest, based on some basic math, I feel confident about.

Based simply on spacing. The spacing between H&I (611.9, 604.6) matches very well with E, F, G (635.2, 632.8, 629.4).

Though I am looking for discussion here. If you disagree, please call me on it.

A - 652.5
    B - 650.0
    C - 640.1
    D - Looks like an artifact from E, or a sloppy TEM mode.
    E - 635.2
    F - 632.8
    G - 629.4
    H - 611.9
    I - 604.6
    J - 646.4**

A photoshopped compilation of the 3 REOs I now know of:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	REO comp1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	43076
    Last edited by SoulFeast; 05-02-2014 at 14:40.
    Only an electron wiggler like you would resonate at 30cm.

OK, access has been secured to a optical spectrum analyser by Anritsu. I have to drive 45 minutes each way to use it. It covers 600 nm to 1.6 microns. Readout will be to the nearest hundreth of a nanometer. I helped move the lab it was in yesterday, and the owner is equally interested in lasers.

Steve

If you have the chance, try measuring your LHOR-0150. The only tubes that currently lase 609nm that I know of, are LHOR-0X50. I know of another 0150 doing it, and an 0050 doing it. You have the exact model number that I have, LHOR-0150 ODE, it's very likely.

Also, the line doesn't show up for very long in the beginning, a couple seconds after warmup, then it's gone. Eventually it stabilizes, then goes away again. Blowing on the tube/cathode/anode will bring it back sometimes. If you can, watch it for a couple hours, see if it does anything. Or record it and watch it in timelapse. It's our best shot currently.

I look forward to seeing the results of this REO PMS, as well as other lasers in question.

SoulFeast,

Are these LHOR-0150 ODE tubes the same as the LTOR-0150 DE double ended tubes used in High End Vipers? If so what else were they used for / what equipment were they found in?

All of the ones I have use LTxR-yyyy DE part numbers, where x is the color. I don't know the significance of the yyyy number.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by SoulFeast View Post
    If you have the chance, try measuring your LHOR-0150. The only tubes that currently lase 609nm that I know of, are LHOR-0X50. I know of another 0150 doing it, and an 0050 doing it. You have the exact model number that I have, LHOR-0150 ODE, it's very likely.

Also, the line doesn't show up for very long in the beginning, a couple seconds after warmup, then it's gone. Eventually it stabilizes, then goes away again. Blowing on the tube/cathode/anode will bring it back sometimes. If you can, watch it for a couple hours, see if it does anything. Or record it and watch it in timelapse. It's our best shot currently.

I look forward to seeing the results of this REO PMS, as well as other lasers in question.
    Eric in New Orleans

The yyyy is the output. So 0150 is 1.5mW rated, 0050 is 0.5mW rated.

I'm not sure the equipment these were found in. I know of my LHOR-0150 ODE doing 594, 604, 609, and 612. There is an LHOR-0150 (no ODE) doing the 609, and an 0050 doing 609. Steve has an exact replica of mine, sans serial number, doing 594, 604, and 611 (like the other three doing 609). So that's why I asked for a test.

Also, these are also double ended tubes, yes. 1.5mW rated, but one side of mine does 1.98, and the other does 1.72.

Any test results to share?

I didn't know that these tubes are multi line. I am going to use a diff grating this weekend to see if any of my reo red, orange, green or yellow tubes are multi line.
    Eric in New Orleans

NON-LASING Neon Lamp Spectra taken on a high res CCD by others. Note the mystery line is or is close to a neutral neon line.
    Two spectrums by two different organizations, but I can't find the spectroscopic notation for it anywhere. IF its really 609.6 Its showing up without helium in the lamp and without lasing. A lasing transition showing up in a non-lasing situation with that high level of signal is very unusual.
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails neon_cal.jpg  

neon_1-spec.gif  

Last edited by mixedgas; 05-20-2014 at 18:38.

Spectral and Laser Lines observed with a ancient OCEAN OPTICS CCD spectrometer from two REO tubes. I'm still trying to identify many of these. Keep in mind the accuracy of these numbers is not absolute. This data was taken by placing a 3 Mirror REO HENE about two meters away from the CCD spectrometer and shining it on a piece of diffuse mylar 1 cm away from the entrance slit. Raman, Four Wave Mixing and Anti-Stokes HENE lasing lines were observed. Some lines here may be Grating ghosts or very strong spectral lines. I did zero the spectrometer for background. Numbers posted are raw data, not the actual known wavelengths. (Thanks to Phat Photons for the loan of the CCD)

THIS IS PRELIMINARY,,,,,,!!!!!!!!

Steve

587.7 Four wave mixing Sideband
    604.65* HENE
    612 * HENE
    615.9 Four wave mixing sideband.
    629.26 * HENE
    632.99 ( Most likely 632.8, CCD is probably saturated in this region)
    640.1 * HENE
    650 * RAMAN HENE
    653 Four wave mixing
    668 sideband!

Tube 2:

587.7 Four Wave Mixing Sideband.
    604.9 * Hene
    612.54 * Hene
    615.2 Four wave mixing sideband
    629.6 * Hene
    635.03* Hene
    640.1 * Hene
    650 Raman HENE
    667.6 Four Wave Mixing Sideband
    671.6 Possible Sideband
    692 Anti-Stokes Raman Laser
    752? Possibly known 750 nm HENE line.
    835?
    861?
    Last edited by mixedgas; 05-31-2014 at 17:43.

I hate to be blunt ... but there's no way that either of those results are the same as the laser output displayed earlier. For instance, there is no sequence of 5 lines that resemble C - G in your listings of results. There is no sequence of 3 lines resembling 587, 604, and 612. I'm not even bothering with accuracy of the wavelengths to anything beyond the decimal. I am simply taking note of simple observations.

I do believe something very interesting is happening here.

Were those output spectra pictures taken immediately upon power on? After long warmup? Notice lines coming in and out besides J?

If the tube was tested upon immediate power up, this could be an issue. My experience with these tubes shows that even after a good run, one day later, or even hours later, causes a loss of lines upon immediate power on. It can take several minutes, to hours (pending time left unpowered) of runtime before all the lines begin to stably lase. Just food-for-thought.

Lastly, according to all of my research, 609.6nm is not dependent on Helium. It is an interaction between Argon and Neon. At least, excess Argon brings it out via interaction with Neon. Not 100% sure if that has any merit, but I'm just putting it out there.

I am awaiting some results that meet up with the pictures taken, current very confused/intrigued.