Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: NEW BLUE !!! Nichia 462nm 1.4W

In my opinion the 460nm mark is the sweet spot for blue as I have seen OPSL 460 blues in action a few years ago at a JM Jarre gig and to me that was pure royal blue.
    For me OPSL is a Mortgage away and back then the next best option was 457nm DPSS but still a lot of coin for a 1W module. To be able to buy 1.4W diode for $200 is a steal.

As for 473nm the colour it self is a nice blue but I found when mixing it with red to make Magenta it looked a bit wishy washy and lacked saturation to me.

We are becoming very spoilt with the variety of diodes now available and the only thing I'd like to see next is a 1W red with beam specs like the Blue's and Green 520nm although I still favour 532 for green personally.
    2 x Stanwax Laser 3W RGB's
    2 x OPT 10W RGB
    Pangolin FB3QS + Live Pro
    1.3W Laser Harp

All of our projectors are eventually going to have 5 lines; 445,462,520,532 and 638. Tec the 638 and get 600nm orange like Planters did in his experiment, being 6 lines.
    I like the 532 for more of a yellow -green but the 520 when combined with blue for cyan. 532 for yellow, because brown looks like sht for a laser line lol ) ..
    It will be a dichro nightmare. We're going to eventually have to come up with fiber-optic cable mixing or a nonlinear rod or something somehow yeah .. time for some optical engineers to join PL .. I think they're expensive though .. have you seen those optical equations ?

Steve, you should see DrEvil's projector. He bought it from MechEng3 several years ago. It's got 2 different red wavelengths and 2 different blue wavelengths, plus dpss green. Awesome color palette!

But I agree, the sweet spot has got to be 445, 462, 520, 532, and 638.

If I had to pick just three though, I would take 462, 520 and 638. That's the color mix in the new Pluto II's, and it's damned close to ideal. Much better than any other projector I own.

Adam

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

if only there was a way to get 4 watts of 660 in a tight beam. those 638's look orange to me compared to the 660's deep red.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Steve, you should see DrEvil's projector. He bought it from MechEng3 several years ago. It's got 2 different red wavelengths and 2 different blue wavelengths, plus dpss green. Awesome color palette!

But I agree, the sweet spot has got to be 445, 462, 520, 532, and 638.

If I had to pick just three though, I would take 462, 520 and 638. That's the color mix in the new Pluto II's, and it's damned close to ideal. Much better than any other projector I own.

Adam
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Hi Chris;

I agree. I've got a few lower-power projectors with 660 red in them, and I really like that deep crimson. But it's just so far down on the eye's sensitivity spectrum that you really need buckets of it to be worthwhile.

I have a quad-660 red that is making around 730 wm of red, and it looks OK, but even so it's only about as bright as one of the single-mode 638's running at 120 mw. Sigh...

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Hi Chris;

I agree. I've got a few lower-power projectors with 660 red in them, and I really like that deep crimson. But it's just so far down on the eye's sensitivity spectrum that you really need buckets of it to be worthwhile.

I have a quad-660 red that is making around 730 wm of red, and it looks OK, but even so it's only about as bright as one of the single-mode 638's running at 120 mw. Sigh...

Adam
    Yea.. would be nice to mix in a watt of nice tight 660 with 638 to give a nice deep red. Good thing you have those HUGE projector cases

^^ .. 660 .. ok, 7 lines .. lol .. anymore ??

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    ^^ .. 660 .. ok, 7 lines .. lol .. anymore ??
    405, because 445 is actually indigo. So that's 8 lines, which is about all you can control with the available software.

8 lines.. awesome .. That's more than most gas rigs I think ..