Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1W 520 nm diodes - future pricing?

Default 1W 520 nm diodes - future pricing?

This is probably the million-dollar question, but when do forum members predict the prices of the 1W 520nm diodes will drop, and by how much? Is there a projector on the way that uses them, as with the blue 445s?

My magical crystal ball told me that when a projector will use these diodes, that projector will not use a lot of these diodes, nowhere close to the number of 445nm diodes used into the actual projectors.

These 520nm diodes output around 500 lumen per watt, and the consumer average projector targets 2500-3000 lumens for the total RGB luminosity, which means only a few green diodes together with the other colors...

What is not to exclude though, is that the future 520nm diodes reach higher power, like the 445nm ones did !

Quote Originally Posted by sbk View Post
    My magical crystal ball told me that when a projector will use these diodes, that projector will not use a lot of these diodes, nowhere close to the number of 445nm diodes used into the actual projectors.

These 520nm diodes output around 500 lumen per watt, and the consumer average projector targets 2500-3000 lumens for the total RGB luminosity, which means only a few green diodes together with the other colors...

What is not to exclude though, is that the future 520nm diodes reach higher power, like the 445nm ones did !
    Oh, Don't get me started on dreaming about 3.5W 520nm diodes That would be mouthwatering ,
    But As you said SBK they will probably not be as common as the 445 but they will drop a bit in price once people start extracting them when they get common in video projectors.

-Hybrid
    1x - 2W RGB DT40Pro (Currently building)
    1x - 1W RGB PT25K
    ------------------------------------
    EtherDream, LaserShowExpress, Ipad (TouchOSC)
    -Hybridz0rz

Quote Originally Posted by sbk View Post

SBK nailed it on the head, I think. I could see maybe one or two in a projector, but not big banks like the current 445's- similar to those crazy red LED's also in the projectors.

Winni sent me a pricelist the other day which is included Laserwave 520nm diodes
    1w: $720
    1.8w: $1500
    2.7w: $2400
    3.6w: $3600

correct.

So figure this out. Laserwave has a complete module for $ 720, which includes the diode, diode mount, a lens, some form of beam correction (based on what bridge told me, or at least what I think he told me), diode driver/ psu and a case plus a % of profit for laserwave and a % of profit for goldenstarlasers.
    http://pro.laser-wave.net/laserwave-...-520nm-1000mw/
    The best price from our diode sources at the moment is $ 690 for the bare diode

so we can only expect the bare diode prices to come down
    Last edited by LaNeK779; 05-11-2014 at 07:29.
    "its called character briggs..."

Hi Friend,
    As I got, 1W 520nm won't drop at least in next few months, there is no company schedule push 520nm projector in marketing.
    Also 1W 520nm won't drop as before because 445nm make Nichia crazy, they asked projector company do their best to make the take off difficult, as other mentioned, few pcs are used compare with 445nm.
    If the 520nm can save your time and make your gain more money, why not using it now? when you waiting, some others already gain money, just like iphone, everybody know it's prices will down with time, but when it is down to 100USD, nobody using it, it is not fashion, laser projector too, when prices is down, everyone is using, no fashion, .
    Just myself view, thanks.
    Best regards!
    Bridge
    Laserwave, Make your Lasershows different!
    Laser-wave can supply:
    Green 532nm, 4W, 10W, 15W
    blue 445nm, 2W, 3.5W, 6W, 10W
    blue 462nm, 2W
    Red 638nm, 500mW, 1W,2W, 4W, 5W, 6W, 8W, 10W
    All diodes, All optics, All mount, All laser base and housing for yourselves building lasers.
    Speical products, 532nm, OEM-V-SS, 4W, 98mm*46mm*48mm; OEM-H, 10W, 250mm*88mm*70mm
    www.laser-wave.com or www.laser-wave.net
    bridge@laser-wave.com or 463366312@qq.com
    We Chat: 463366312, Laserwave-Bridge

Thanks for your opinion Bridge! I feel privileged to hear the view of one of the major laser module manufacturers

Can you confirm that there is some sort of secondary beam correction (cylinders or anamprphics) in your green 520 oem module?
    I was a bit unclear about that last time we discussed
    Last edited by LaNeK779; 05-12-2014 at 05:05.
    "its called character briggs..."

I'am glad you understood what he is trying to say because i didnt.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by depo View Post
    I'am glad you understood what he is trying to say because i didnt.

DEPO, Bridge is confirming what we knew all along. Re-phrasing Bridge in my own terms, hopefully it will help you cross the language barrier:

Bridge spoke to the engineer or executive who makes the projectors. He learned they only need one or two green diodes for a household or small business sized projector, so harvesting will never be profitable. Nichia underestimated the legal liability that harvesting 445nm Diodes would cause in the past. So if a projector is built, it must be made nearly impossible to harvest the green diode. Some manufacturer(s) evaluated the green diode and decided it was not practical for them. Such is business, if there is no major market for the green diode with a profit, there is no use making it.

My own comments, added for clarity:

As there are only a few makers of the core "engine" module in video projectors, its not shocking that they decided to stay with existing technology, such as the phosphor wheel for green.
    The trays of diodes we have seen on the Ebay market must have been leftover evaluation samples from a prototype run.

Does that make sense?

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...