Thread: NEWEST info from Patrick Murphy on possible laws regarding handhelds

Default NEWEST info from Patrick Murphy on possible laws regarding handhelds

I looked but did not see this here
    better to see it twice than not at all

http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/fd...ml#post1297553

AixiZ Charles Maricle sent it to me a few days ago but I did not see it until last night-

I recently witnessed the power of a 3W 445 handheld and it was scary powerful-
    handing one over or selling one to an idiot adult or a child would be absolutely insane..

Since they cannot just regulate or arrest idiots sadly most who get into trouble over these will not be who we actually need protection from.. I see no way around that--
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin
    Former (2.5 yrs) ILDA Member- :-(
    uncertified ILDA LSO -- dont ask

Some changes in EU within 24 months tooo ....

mmmm http://www.laserpointersafety.com/ne...b4bfb7-383.php

""For example, the EU decision specifically mentions "laser products, in particular hand-held, battery-powered laser pointers..." But the remainder of the decision does not make a distinction between pointers and handhelds, and other consumer laser products such as wall-powered devices and laser projectors. It is therefore likely that all laser products in a given class will be affected.
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

I guess I don't see the problem with regulating laser pointers, it's not like they have any use besides popping balloons.

Theres very few HIGH POWER laser pointer sellers in UK on websites , of those ,very few sell them irresponsibly ... the major MAJOR issue in UK is amazon and ebay sellers selling 100mw , 200mw lasers etc advertising them as 5 mile lasers , military power lasers etc clearly well above the 1mW limit but marking them down as 1mW in adverts just to ensure they dont get advert pulled , clear lying and puts pretty powerful lasers in consumers hands ..... The UK already has legislation that can deal with crazy powered lasers but not enough manpower / money etc to deal with it

I think the possible worry here , as detailed above is that laser projectors possibly might get caught up in legislation due to its non coherent wording :-)

Laser pointers are illegal here in nz as of late last year.

I think it's inevitable that there will be a ban on laser pointers over 1mw in the EU.

Problem is there's too much misuse worldwide by a small irresponsible minority and that misuse often is such that it poses a threat to public safety eg airline attacks, police attacks, bus driver attacks, nightclub eye shining etc. and these incidents grabs headlines as a result.

Pointer usage in the UK seems very low and I'm sure the UK banned the import but not sale or assembly of pointers over 1mw many years ago, which has contributed over here to a low incidence number, although clearly it's not watertight. I would expect that to change via the EU.

I reckon 90% of lasers over 1mW in UK are from ebay and amazon where for the last year or two sellers , still in china are selling very powerful lasers claiming they are 1mW to meet ebay and amazons guidelines.

"Technically" currently , lasers over 1mW .. ARE ALREADY BANNED from consumers hands by default as they in theory should never be able to buy them , but it is a kinda backwards way to go about it , an Australian type ban though will likely get the publicity and peoples mindsets in place that they shouldn't own one.

Im sure there will always be exceptions though that will allow guys like me to continue to supply universities and film sets etc any power laser they would want or need no matter the size or format or battery .... closing this type of legitimate free market down would not be acceptable in a democracy.

My own opinion is to rid "society" of outrageously high powered lasers they need to someone curb the real volume supply that has caused the proliferation ... ebay / amazon ! but how they will ever do that i have no idea as 5mW is already supposed to be banned