Thread: Red / Orange/ Yellow / Green DE (Double Ended) HeNe Questions

Default Red / Orange/ Yellow / Green DE (Double Ended) HeNe Questions

I have several of these tubes in each color, RED, ORANGE, YELLOW & GREEN from Laser Chorus Vipers. I am curious if anyone knows what the part numbers mean.

High End part numbers: RED are LTRR-0400DE, ORANGE LTOR-0150DE, Yellow LTYR-0050DE and GREEN LTGR-0035DE. I figure LT is Laser Tube, R/O/Y/G is the color, R is Random Polarized and DE is double ended for double output, one beam from each end. What does the 0400, 0150, 0050 and 0035 mean?

The tubes also have sharpie writing on them on the glass: I have a Red with RDE 1500.17 written on it, one with RDE 1460.2 and one with RDE 1460.7, GREENs with GDE 1584.15 and GDE 1571.5. Orange with ODE 622-8, none of my yellow tubes have any sharpie writing on them.

I also have a rare green from a Viper LTGYR-0100DE which according to a former High End employee..."The GY was a special wavelength, the primary green was about 530nm, the GY was about 550 as I recall.. Quite rare to be sure." Note: The Viper user manual says that green was 543.5nm. Unfortunately the seller I got it from packed it very poorly and it arrived with the anode mirror/end broken off. I got 8 tubes from him and the only broken one was the GY green!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (2) (1).jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	253.3 KB 
ID:	43105

Any ideas what the numbers mean and what the sharpie markings mean? Was the sharpie writing the result of some measurement during gas fill?
    Last edited by djeric68; 05-06-2014 at 09:43. Reason: added polarization
    Eric in New Orleans

Don Pugh, the owner of LightParts, maintains stock of legacy High End parts for Vipers and he's the guy who would know!

https://www.lightparts.com/highend/viper_list.php

Thanks for the reply.

I spoke to Don recently and he is the one who gave me the info about the rare green tube. Never thought to ask him about the meaning of the other numbers.

I saw another thread earlier today - Cooking with Gas - which mentioned the same orange tubes and that got me thinking about the meaning of these numbers.
    Eric in New Orleans

The numbers (as I said in the other thread) are for output. 0150 = 1.5mW, 0050 = 0.5mW, etc.

I like the DE = double/dual ended. I never thought of that, as I only have one of these. Interesting.

However, I do have a green REO tube with the model number: LHGR-0050M. It's a multimode (noted by the M) 0.5mW 543nm tube.

I believe H = Head and T = Tube.
    Only an electron wiggler like you would resonate at 30cm.

H = Head and T = Tube - That makes sense now. All of the laser chorus heads had "laser heads" with the tube enclosed in a metal "Head" with internal ballast resistor and Alden connector but all of the laser chorus vipers had the bare tubes with the ballast resistor in a small protective glass tube and the output from BOTH ends going to two separate scanner pairs.

Since a regular single output tube has one "fully" reflective and one "partially" reflective mirror, how "partially" reflective do you think the mirrors are on each end of the double ended tubes?

I wonder how closely matched the output power is from each end? I have a coherent lasercheck (not too accurate) but I will measure one and post the numbers. - EDIT - OOPS! JUST READ YOUR POST in the other thread where you answered this question. Good Info!!!!! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulFeast View Post
    The numbers (as I said in the other thread) are for output. 0150 = 1.5mW, 0050 = 0.5mW, etc.

I like the DE = double/dual ended. I never thought of that, as I only have one of these. Interesting.

However, I do have a green REO tube with the model number: LHGR-0050M. It's a multimode (noted by the M) 0.5mW 543nm tube.

I believe H = Head and T = Tube.
    Last edited by djeric68; 05-06-2014 at 14:05. Reason: Question answered in another thread.
    Eric in New Orleans