Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Guy, new hobby

Post New Guy, new hobby

Hey There!

So Im pretty knew to this whole laser lifestyle, I have been appreciating laser shows and love house music and am looking to take up a hobby to distract me during school, but mostly want to admire the colors and effects in the comfort of my room.

Im looking for recommendations on which laser scanner to purchase for my first one, I am willing to pay a little extra for the full color spectrum, and I am hoping for a system that responds well to music or I can create shows to music if at all possible (Im not crazy about modifying systems as I don't know how), but if theres a simple and effective way i am up for the challenge. Whether or not the system is good at animating pictures/elements I do not really care about.

I have a Mac but from what I know most systems require PC's for software and inputs.

Thanks for all your help!

B.

Welcome to the world of expensive light! I too am fairly new but I know quite a bit, and I'm sure others will come in to correct me if I am wrong. You most likely will either have to get boot camp or a pc to run the software used to control lasers. You 'could' get a DMX laser but it wont give you nearly the amount of options as you get with an ilda compatible one.

The projector that you buy will have specifications for the scanner that comes with it (the mirrors that bounce around your lasers) since you are interested in beam shows and not graphics, something in the 15-30K PPS (points per second) range should be sufficient. Others on the forum will be able to give you recommendations on where to get these parts.

Realize that lasers will cost a lot and if you are looking for a place to save, I suggest starting out with only one color of lasers.

Im sure my bud DSLI Jon will come in with safety information; a huge part of the laser life
    Freelance Laser Operator in L.A.
    -

Thanks! yeah im really not concerned, im willing to shell out 250-500 if i can get what I want, Im more about getting what I want now rather than something Im gonna get bored with in a couple months

Some perspective: Im extremely new to lasers and am currently spending $2000/$2500 on a RGB projector. I dont think you will find anything interesting for less than $1K
    -

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Welcome to PL. As has been mentioned... this is NOT an inexpensive endeavor. (I have $250-$500 merely tied up in extension cords.) Your control software and hardware for even entry level is going to be on the order of $300. To be able to see the beams in the first place, you will need a hazer or fog machine. At a minimum think $89 for a fog machine and $25 per gallon for fluid. You'll need an ILDA cable which is what runs between your computer and the laser which you can estimate at $20-$25. So, you're close to $500 without having bought the laser yet.

I'm not trying to discourage you at all. I'm just pointing out that the reality is, this stuff isn't cheap so, you can go into it with eyes wide open. I don't know what country you reside in but, you also may have some laws to contend with. A capable first laser for messing around in your dorm/bed room is the LKPD2 which you can find information on by searching here on the forum. It will probably run you about $550 before shipping but, give you some really awesome things built into one little package. However.. if you are in the US, fact is, it's an illegal laser and while you may get it... you also risk it being confiscated by customs. Probably not but, it's a very real chance. You have to be willing to accept that risk. If you are in the US and want a legal laser the likes of which we talk about on here, X-Laser in Laurel, Maryland is your best bet. Entry level 3 color with scanners that you can have control over is going to be (from memory) starting at around $1400 for the Mobile Beat MK5. The next step up is really where we start talking $3000+.

I think you really need to give it some thought as realistically... you need to be mentally thinking $2,000 for a complete starter package. Laser, control and atmosphere. Sorry.... again, not trying to be a downer. It just is.

One final thought and then I'll shut up. We also hate to see people waste money and it's exceedingly easy to get caught buying junk when you don't know any better. Say for example you came in and said... I want to learn to drive and I've got x amount of dollars, which is enough for a used Yugo or a Daiwoo. All we're saying is please, please save and spend a little more and get at least a Ford Pinto. At least there are parts available, it's got some re-sale value, it can be fixed and will get you past the end of the block.

His last message into two words: No Laserworld
    -

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyGarcia View Post
    His last message into two words: No Laserworld
    Yes but, "No Laserworld" is less than the 15 character minimum post limit so... I had to be a little more "wordy". No iShow either!!!!!

Haha good one

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

Im in Canada, yeah I was just saying 250-500 for the unit, I'm in Canada so there are some inexpensive fog machines around at novelty shops. I will invest money into the hobby as I go, but I need the unit first, I like the videos and specs of the RGB LK-PD2 but where is a safe place to purchase?