Thread: CNI PSU-III-OEM Adjustment Procedure?

Default CNI PSU-III-OEM Adjustment Procedure?

Hi Guys,

Well after a 15 month break from lasers thanks to the cluster-fsck - shit-a-clism that was my job, I am now a free man blissfully unemployed and tonight setup my laser equipment for the first time in over a year.

My main RGB projector has an issue. The CNI 532nm was playing up the last few gigs and now it's really sick having sat idle for a year. Output is almost non-existent for the first minute, if gets better over time but still it isn't producing half the power it used to.

Does anyone have the setup procedure for the CNI PSU-III-OEM driver? I figure there is nothing to loose in twidling, but I would like to know what pot does what and what the process is. I suspect the TEC needs turning down as is performs better when warm.

Failing all else, does anyone have a good analog 532nm around 300-600mW they would like to part with, or a good lead to a good low cost source?

Thanks guys.
    This space for rent.

Ok, so I found what I was looking for. PL search is crap, Google found me a thread here with the pot info and setup process.

Turned the threshold pot 1/2 turn anti-clockwise and bingo!

Followed the full setup procedure (took me hours) and squeezed the output from 170mW to 260mW with a better beam profile and stability resulting. CNI obviously don't fuss with these 532s very much. Boy am I happy now.
    This space for rent.

Several people have asked me for a link to the guide, here it is.

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...board-settings
    This space for rent.

This is a very lonely thread...

Last night I decided to have another round of tweaking the CNI driver. Over about 6 hours I slowly tweaked LD TEC and Xtal TEC to reach a stable 363mW. I was pretty chuffed.

Retweaked the color correction board to suit, then ran a show to enjoy the result.

Poof, the green died half way through! Output is barely visible. IR LD current is normal. What died?
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    This is a very lonely thread...
    I was watching. Can't offer anythign other than passing interest, though. Some time I will maybe risk tweaking a DPSS to see if I can learn from, or improve it. Each time recently I nearly went for it, having to buy one first to use, I rethought my priorities each time, and that's three times now in a month! But it's a measure of interest. I'm always interested in the chance of getting what my LambdaPro lasers don't offer, and that's consistent stuff that behaves more like the guidance I read in the LaserFAQ instead of a hard-sealed barrel of dubiuos compentry and a PSU whose controls are quite the lottery! Lasercopes are too big, expensive, demanding, CNI's interesting, maybe still too fickle for me (but it's why your thread interests me), but maybe Viasho's 1W lasers might do. Something with a rational layout of optics I can get at easily some time..

I can't offer much suggestion about your dead grean, other than that a bonding between vanadate and KTP might have failed. This seems most likely in a laser of the type and power you're describing. One thing you might try is to run it at low power for a long time, to see if there is any slow return. If there is, it could imply that pressure of mounting is partly restoring relative position of the bonded crystals. I don't have any other ideas. Actually, one... Try looking for 808nm. If that;s still there, suspect bonding, otherwise LD itself.

Thanks Doc. I am upset with myself now. Was planning to program some shows this weekend...
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    ... to reach a stable 363mW. ....
    Poof, the green died half way through! Output is barely visible. IR LD current is normal. What died?
    What was the 'specified' power of the module?
    Trying to create a good diode mount....

300mW. It came with a test certificate stating 407mW.
    This space for rent.

Ok, after opening the cover and checking, it's the IR LD that has failed. Are these easy to source, replace and align?
    This space for rent.

Hello to everyone.
    I need a little help.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNi TRIMMER.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	197.9 KB 
ID:	43116