Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: DMX control with QS or LSX?

Default DMX control with QS or LSX?

I've been asked to look into controlling some of those non-coherent things you see (just about) in clubs etc.

I think I'm going to use an Entec DMX pro thingy but know next to nothing about DMX.

I understand that both Quickshow and LSX have DMX control capabilities but have used neither. I'm just watching the QS DMX video at the moment but would like to hear from people who have used the DMX stuff with both QS and LSX please.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Keith

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

polishedball and cmb have a lot of LSX<->dmx experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Galvonaut View Post
    I've been asked to look into controlling some of those non-coherent things you see (just about) in clubs etc.

I think I'm going to use an Entec DMX pro thingy but know next to nothing about DMX.

I understand that both Quickshow and LSX have DMX control capabilities but have used neither. I'm just watching the QS DMX video at the moment but would like to hear from people who have used the DMX stuff with both QS and LSX please.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Keith
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    polishedball and cmb have a lot of LSX<->dmx experience.

Thanks Swami, I guessed cmb was a bit non-coherent

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

No I don't. The next LSX update should have support for my DMX King (which is a cheaper interface than the Enttec USB Pro but works with the same driver). Until now I use Freestyler.
    I believe Polishedball uses a DAC with DMX control.

Cheers cmb.

I want to sync some of my lasers to the other lighting, so if I can control both lasers and lighting with the same software it would make it easier I think. I guess blacking out the lights is easy but never done this.....

Keith

I've used DMX under LSX through the Etherdream's DMX daughterboard with great success. What I did was create one DMX event for each parameter I was controlling, stretched the events to the full size of the timeline and set it to loop. Then I assigned midi knobs to the DMX events and it all worked flawlessly.

Unfortunately I've since moved away from LSX and have sold the setup, but I actually prefer LSX's DMX control over Beyond's (so far anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by hitekvoop View Post
    I've used DMX under LSX through the Etherdream's DMX daughterboard with great success. What I did was create one DMX event for each parameter I was controlling, stretched the events to the full size of the timeline and set it to loop. Then I assigned midi knobs to the DMX events and it all worked flawlessly.

Unfortunately I've since moved away from LSX and have sold the setup, but I actually prefer LSX's DMX control over Beyond's (so far anyway).

Interesting, thank you - I'll have a midi keyboard in time to have a play with LSX and the DMX side of things before I need to do it for real.

I just facepalmed - I have an Easylase with DMX (forgot all about that)!

Will have a play!

Keith

Best of luck. I think you should use a proper desk or lighting software for the lights and leave the laser software to what it's designed to do, but I am old fashioned in that respect
    Knowing what I do to run lights on my desk, I simply can't imagine replicating it in Beyond without at least taking something away from the lasers.
    Chamsys do a cheap MagicDMX time limited dongle for about £12, MagicQ software is free download
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Thanks Norty

I really don't know enough about the technology at the moment. I'll have a play with LSX and the Easylase and see what is possible with that. If I can sync the lights to the music and black them out for laser action, then that should do me for now.

I think I'll need to see some of you pros doing it properly in order to learn - or maybe go back to college!

Keith

Chamsys are just down the road in Southampton and they do training courses cheap/free.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.