Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: lightning strike

I gad he whole house protection. This strike was no more that 50' from the house. Nothing can stop that

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post
    There isn't much more you can do except unplug everything you care about, which I've been known to do in really bad storms.
    I do the same thing. I have all the electronics grouped on multi-outlet surge protectors. When a strong storm hits I only have to unplug 3 units.

I used to live in St. Pete so I know how crazy some of those Florida storms are. I was almost hit by lightning twice. Both withing 30 to 40 feet. It was one of the very few times in my life I was truly terrified. Watching a funnel start to swirl in the clouds above me was another.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

a lot of the equipment damaged in my lightning strike was destroyed by a spike through my ethernet network.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    I gad he whole house protection. This strike was no more that 50' from the house. Nothing can stop that
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    a lot of the equipment damaged in my lightning strike was destroyed by a spike through my ethernet network.
    Thanks for destroying the confidence that my computers were safe by unplugging them.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by TechJunkie View Post
    Thanks for destroying the confidence that my computers were safe by unplugging them.

not just computers, but my wifi units, my networked mp3 players, a switch, etc.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    There are telephone spike arresters as well.

I used to have them on my telephone line points. Unfortunately a series of line issues, probably unrelated, led to me having to remove them and I never got to putting them back.

Whether or not they'd help in a case like this I don't know. My own personal policy these days is to unplug the PC from the phone socket during storms as I've heard of lots of damage being done this way as you don't even need a strike nearby. I understand, any strike that induces a surge can travel down the whole local line and do damage from quite some distance.

this strike was so close it damaged things not plugged in. Toasted a ham radio too. I actually FELT the strike. was like what I assume an emp would feel like.

I had transistors in static foam that I am finding are blown. A whole tray of 741 op amps are toast not to mention a full sleeve of atmel processors. This was a bad strike.

good news is my garage roof is fixed! I have 14 bags of debris from that storm going out this week and 10 other last week. My projector thank good is ok and undamaged. The parts for my mini build were not here so they are safe as well.

Maybe what you need is a dedicated electronics room done out as in the movies as an anti-surveillance room eg as in Enemy of the State. Although I don't know whether or not that's fictional re surveilance, any such room should act as a Farady cage and thus protect anything on the inside provided the power supplies and telephone lines in are surge protected or cut off during storms.

Bit extreme, but with a spare room and an understanding partner, it could work.

A Faraday Cage room! Nice

I used to work in the telephone industry and I know from 1st hand experience that a lot of surges from lightning strikes (even ones miles away) can come in through the phone lines and do a lot of damage to anything plugged into them. Telco's surge suppressors (the ones that the local phone company supplies in the demarc interface box) don't usually work very well..
    Last edited by steve-o; 05-19-2014 at 05:25. Reason: spellin'

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    My own personal policy these days is to unplug the PC from the phone socket during storms as I've heard of lots of damage being done this way as you don't even need a strike nearby. I understand, any strike that induces a surge can travel down the whole local line and do damage from quite some distance.
    This kind of made me laugh. I had to look at your location to understand it. I havnt seen a computer plugged into a phone line in many years. My own home phone has not been plugged into a phone jack for almost a decade. We get free internet phone through the cable company. Even DSL is fiber optics now. Between fiber optics, WiFi, satellite, and cell phones there will be no hard wired phone lines in the US in the near future. I dont even know anyone who plugs a computer in. They all use WiFi.