Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: lightning strike

Yeah much of the UK doesn't have cable TV. According to the Wiki, only 55% of households have access.

Over here, fibre broadband now covers many cities but it's considerably more expensive for an unlimited package (about double) so the vast majority of people are still on ADSL.

WiFi exists of course, but personally I'm not a fan. I take speed over convenience.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

my entire house is wired with gigabit ethernet. i have a 24 port switch in the wiring closet for the house and another 8 port for just traffic in my home office. i also have 802.11ac wifi, but nothing compares to wired when i'm sporking lots of giant hd video files and photos around.

i have a land line, but i only use it for outbound conference calls (i don't even know what the number is).

my internet is via a cable modem. it's supposed to be 20mbps, but it's COX so more like 4 on a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by TechJunkie View Post
    This kind of made me laugh. I had to look at your location to understand it. I havnt seen a computer plugged into a phone line in many years. My own home phone has not been plugged into a phone jack for almost a decade. We get free internet phone through the cable company. Even DSL is fiber optics now. Between fiber optics, WiFi, satellite, and cell phones there will be no hard wired phone lines in the US in the near future. I dont even know anyone who plugs a computer in. They all use WiFi.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    my entire house is wired with gigabit ethernet. i have a 24 port switch in the wiring closet for the house and another 8 port for just traffic in my home office. i also have 802.11ac wifi, but nothing compares to wired when i'm sporking lots of giant hd video files and photos around.

i have a land line, but i only use it for outbound conference calls (i don't even know what the number is).

my internet is via a cable modem. it's supposed to be 20mbps, but it's COX so more like 4 on a good day.
    I have Comcast cable which is the best for speed, and reliability, but customer service is a joke. I could write a book of complaints.

I pull a solid 25Mbps through my WifI.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3511061135
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Yeah much of the UK doesn't have cable TV. According to the Wiki, only 55% of households have access.

Over here, fibre broadband now covers many cities but it's considerably more expensive for an unlimited package (about double) so the vast majority of people are still on ADSL.

WiFi exists of course, but personally I'm not a fan. I take speed over convenience.
    Eh? 55% is surely a majority?

I have just upgraded from 8Mbps ADSL BB to 72Mbps FBB with the same provider (EE) and its £5.95 a month cheaper than what I was paying for ADSL BB.
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Good deal if you did as this is their web deal:

Unlimited Broadband - £2.00 per month + £15.40 Line Rental = £17.40 per month

Unlimited Fibre - £13 per month for 6 months then £26 per month + £15.40 Line rental = £28.40 per month for 6 months then £41.40 per month thereafter.

https://broadband.ee.co.uk/home.do

So EE for the rest of us is £17.40 vs £41.40 for BB vs Fibre which is pretty typical really plus you can add £3 per month to both for caller features. The UK is expensive!