Thread: Buying a new Laser - Beginner Advice

Laser Warning Buying a new Laser - Beginner Advice

Apologies I lost my password and one thing led to another and I didn't get back onto the forum until recently and still figuring out how to work it properly!
    Last edited by Colin290; 12-17-2015 at 13:16.

I own a Laserworld projector, as well as a Goldenstar projector, and while my projectors are different than the ones you mention, I have used the CS1000 RGB. The Goldenstar projector you listed is almost certainly going to be more powerful, and definitely more rugged. Plus, Goldenstar has pretty good customer support.

One more thing-

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum! I too am fairly new to lasers but I have a good amount of experience with them for being a n00b. Additionally, I do not have my own laser, even after being involved with them for about 3-4 months.

Some things: this will cost a lot of money. I have invested around 1000 on just the module (still no scanners/power/case/software/dac (the connection from laser to computer)) etc. So be prepared to spend a good amount of money if you are wanting a quality laser.

About that, you might be thinking "oh, well I will just buy a cheap laser and improve down the line". However, realize that you get what you pay for. Most lasers from laser world and chinese vendors (besides goldenstar) are rubbish and truly WILL NOT be worth the cheap costs. They also will be very dangerous and safety is a huge part of this forum, and it should be for anyone operating a laser over 5 mw.

I assume others will come in with pointers and links on where to get lasers and information. Im just here to give the little bit of information I have available ;D

-Anthony
    Freelance Laser Operator in L.A.
    -

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Hi Colin,

Welcome to the insanity. First and foremost, this is NOT an inexpensive endeavor. The old adage, "you get what you pay for" is overwhelmingly true. There is so much more than just the laser.

First, as far as Laserworld, historically their very high end stuff was pretty good but much of their pedestrian gear suffered the problem of being way less than advertised. Buy a 1 watt laser from them and you'll discover that it does 1 watt for about 3 minutes in a month with five Tuesdays and the full moon occurring on a Thursday, in a city with an elevation between 1000 and 1100 feet above sea level and the year ends with a two. (And the projector needs to be pointed in a southwesterly direction.) Other than that, it will do maybe 400 mW most days. Of course, if you don't have a power meter, you can be blissfully ignorant of knowing you got ripped off. I think they are working to clean up their act but, (and I own two) we'll all generally say stay far far away. Goldenstar has developed a pretty nice reputation around here and of what you listed, that's the best choice.

Now... If you are going to spend all that money on a projector, then you should really invest in decent soft/hardware as well. In order to get the signal from your computer to the projector, you need a DAC. With Quickshow it's called an FB3. There are other DAC's out there like Etherdream, Riya, Moncha, Fiesta, Netlase and others. You'll need one to do anything and, plan on a few hundred euro. Buying a decent laser projector without also spending the money on controlling it and finding something' "free" because you can't afford it, is like buying a Ferrari without tires and asking if you can drive on the rims for a while because you can't get the tires. Yeah. it may work for a bit but, still sort of a stupid move.

You'll also need things like a hazer, ILDA cable, perhaps a stand, etc. It's not just the cost of the laser.

Not trying to discourage you. Just pointing out that you want to more than double the 500 euro you are thinking of spending.
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 05-14-2014 at 18:49. Reason: Fixing iphone posting mistakes.

I sometimes think you and I are the P/L welcoming party. xD
    Freelance Laser Operator in L.A.
    -