Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eyemagix - Magic Box

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    So, again, what is the point of this post?
    Points were re-stated above and acknowledged by others in this thread.

three statements beginning with "if"
    Correct, but only to illustrate a point. I know the answer to the three points. My use of the word "if" was to highlight the point. I guess English is not your native language.

For example, if I wrote: "if Bill Benner has 20 patents, he must be a pretty technically astute guy" it would not necessarily be an assumption or question, but more of an illustration. In fact Bill Benner does have 20 patents! It could be re-stated that "if *anybody* has 20 patents, they must be a pretty technically astute guy (or gal)".

Let me give you another example: If any of Pangolin's best dealers do not use a particular Pangolin product, that would be illustrative that the particular product in question is not that relevant, useful, affordable, etc. And we certainly have some obscure products like that (Dazzler for example, Lasershow Puppeteer as another example and I am sure there are others). We too have some products that have been on the list for a long time, but are not particularly popular.

If (there's that word again) anyone was to point out the fact that Dazzler or Lasershow Puppeteer or some of our other unpopular products are not selling well, not widely used, etc. these would be statements of fact -- not flames. Moreover, if (there's that word again) anyone was to make such statements on the forum, as the President of Pangolin I would publicly agree to such statements of fact, not be offended by them. For sure we've sold only a few Dazzlers in history, and only a few Lasershow Puppeteers as well. These are facts, not flames!

Confusing or Confused?
    Niether, but your behavior and past posts show that you're going to snipe at me personally no matter what. Fortunately at least others in this thread have shown that my posts have value and relevance.

Quote Originally Posted by TechJunkie View Post
    Never seen a thread go OT on the second post before.
    You have LaNeK779 to thank for that ...

Bill
    Last edited by Pangolin; 05-18-2014 at 09:46.

hey, don't cheat. The second post was yours

Well, you have a vice for published specs that do not reflect the truth or the facts

I have a vice for people that grab hold of a thread, make it change direction with tons of relevant and irrelevant information and end up patting their own back (Yeah, I'm such a cool guy, I know more than the rest of you) accompanied by a choir of fans who errupt in spontaneus applause

The personnal snipes cannot be personnal as I have never met you. All I know about you is the manifestation of your personality through Pangolin's commercial activity (being the president of the company and a hands on guy). Based on these, I do feel that there is little ground for mutual agreement and understanding

As an example, I can't even see how and which others in this thread ackowledged the points.

Let's just agree to disagree on this one and leave this post alone

After all, considering lasers, I am nobody from nowhere, but the CEO of world class Pangolin Co knows my screen name and remembers my behaviour and past posts. It is flattering, to say the least

So, to sum it up, let's just agree to disagree
    "its called character briggs..."

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    You have LaNeK779 to thank for that ...

Bill
    Bill. You said you've actually never seen it work, dismissed EMS' technology as outdated, and plugged your own technology all in the same breath, LMAO. You were OT from the start my friend. Lanerk was just the first one to call you out on it.

You took a stab, no biggie. No need to exasperate the situation further. It makes you look bad.
    Last edited by TechJunkie; 05-18-2014 at 12:27. Reason: spellin'
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

Hehe. Are you guys trying to day "the debate is over"?

through Pangolin's commercial activity
    I do a lot of non-commercial too. As small examples, my support of SELEM, FLEM, LaserFreak and ILDA conferences, plus volunteer work on the board and committees. So I'm not only about "commercial activity". Despite your pointed comments, I'm here to help. PL members will certainly serve as a testament...
    Last edited by Pangolin; 05-20-2014 at 07:57.

will this box record more separate tracks into more ILDA files or it can capture only one main track? i mean regarding multi-projector shows, do you have to record each track into separate box? LSX can record ILDA files up to 8 tracks so i guess this is a cheaper solution

Quote Originally Posted by dzodzo View Post
    LSX can record ILDA files up to 8 tracks so i guess this is a cheaper solution
    Actually for the past ten years or so, Pangolin has offered a modification of ADAT HD-24 for $200, after which it will record three "channels" of X-Y-R-G-B, plus six tracks of audio. The resulting recordings can be parsed into individual laser frames using Lasershow Converter ADAT software that we give away for free.

But trying to get this back OT what should be a concern with any technique is a) the sample rate and b) whether or not an anti-aliasing filter is used on the input (A/D section) and whether or not a reconstruction filter is used on the output (D/A section). Clearly ADAT does this well, but I'm not sure about any other "lightshow-guy-created" solution. It seems there are a lot of people who have never even heard of an anti-aliasing filter in the first place, and I have rarely seen reconstruction filters used as well... After you get that right, the next hurdle is parsing the continuous-domain stream into individual frames, which you can then use in a laser show. Basically, there is a lot to go wrong (insufficient sample rate, inappropriate or missing filters, incorrect parsing into frames, final playback, etc.).

Just because a company has a product for sale, and indeed just because a company says that the product does something, it doesn't mean it actually does that thing well! The only way to judge would be to try all of these solutions and then see the results.

Clearly ADAT does this job well since is has been used in the industry for decades. But IF (there's that word again) ADAT/LC-ADAT have been used exclusively it either means that these are really the best/most affordable/offering-greatest-utility solutions, or the other solutions are the best-kept secrets in the business.

Bill
    Last edited by Pangolin; 05-20-2014 at 08:14.

The only use I can think of for such a box unless you are an old time programmer bringing your stuff to new tech is theft!

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    The only use I can think of for such a box unless you are an old time programmer bringing your stuff to new tech is theft!
    Really? That's ridiculous....

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Really? That's ridiculous....
    Agree, this time.

Has more uses, especially if you need a point of sale display or own a console.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I think what Kecked meant was that -- back in the bad old days of laser show creation, before timelines and digitally-created abstracts were invented, the actual way to create a laser show as to make "takes" and record them onto tape. But nowadays, you compose your content exactly the way you want, in a computer, precisely timed to music which is also played by the same software.

These days, the requirement to "capture" something, thus, would lie mostly on behalf of those wanting to abscond with the content of others. (If I understand Kecked correctly, that's what was meant by "theft".) There could be some exceptions -- for example, if you had an ancient laser show on reel-to-reel tape, and wanted to bring that into a computer. This is something that ADAT has been used to do in the past, and it does that job very well. The degree to which something else would do this well really remains to be seen (the crux of my last post).

As for Steve's reply, "point of sale displays" could be done by other devices that do not have (or need) the capture function. Our FB3-SE or XE are just two examples, but there are many other such devices. I think Showtacle makes one, as do some Chinese manufacturers. For this application, the EMS box is one of many possible solutions, and interested parties would need to evaluate the totality of the offering (price, power requirements, external control options, memory options, etc.) to choose the best product for a given job.

Bill