Thread: Mobolazer SC-100 Scanner Controller

Default Mobolazer SC-100 Scanner Controller

Hello,

I have a Mobolazer SC-100 that is not working correctly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC-100.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	43193

The output looks like this:

Name:	SC-100_output.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	43194

All of the controls have a slight effect on the output, but not much. Only Gain(1), Gain(2) and Master seem to work correctly.

Before I start poking around inside it, does anyone have the schematic for it?

Any thoughts on what to look for?.

All suggestions welcome.

ED

Did it ever work correctly? 45 degree spaghetti on open loop GM20 scanners can sometimes indicate a missing ground or ground loop. Start by verifying correct power supply voltages. Then check continuity through all the wires and connectors paying special attention to those connectors where the wires are pressed in. Sometimes a close visual inspection can solve the problem even without a schematic. Good luck!

Ed,

Did you get this figured out yet? If not I have a few working sc-100 controllers and I can scope the output of different chips/sections and send you screenshots of the scope to give you an idea of where the signal is getting out of whack if you have an o'scope.

I've been wanting to trace out the schematic but never have because my sc100s haven't given me any trouble. I might bring one to work and start tracing the schematic tomorrow or Thursday.
    Last edited by djeric68; 05-20-2014 at 20:31.

Hello,

@Photonbeam
    You had suggested "Start by verifying correct power supply voltages.", I did just that and found the -12V line was at a steady 8.2 volts. I didn't think much of this because the -12V line feeds a 1N5273 8.2V Zener diode. I also burnished all the connector pins and reseated all the connectors. Still not working.

@djeric68
    Thank you for your offer to scope signals for me. If you do trace the circuit, I would love a copy of it.

I did get it working. The problem was stupid, a broken capacitor. While checking the voltages like Photonbeam suggested, I noticed quite a bit of ripple on the -12V line. I traced back from the input side of the regulator and happened to bump one of the filter capacitors, and it moved. One of the leads was broken off/burned flush with the body of the cap.

Name:	cap1.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	43386

I don't have a 2200UF@25V on hand but I do have a 470uf@35V. I replaced the broken cap and the power cleaned up.

Name:	cap2.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	43387

I re-tested and everything works fine. I have the correct capacitor in my cart at Digikey.

Thank you for the help and suggestions with this.

ED

Congratulations! Use a little hot glue or RTV around the large caps to take the strain off the leads and protect from vibrating loose.

Hello,

I installed the replacement capacitors.

Name:	sc100-repaired1.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	43456

Everything is working correctly now.

Name:	sc100-repaired2.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.87 MB