Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laserwave 5W 532nm TEC - can I turn it off safely?

Default Laserwave 5W 532nm TEC - can I turn it off safely?

My laser projector plate is getting seriously hot, leaving it on standby for an hour ends up with a dangerously hot optical plate.

My cooling isn't great and I don't have a heatsink on the underside of the optical plate but I suspect that turning off the 5W 532nm Laserwave TEC will result in a much less heat being pushed into the plate. My 6W 445nm module produces only a little heat only when it's on. I am just worried about the laser wave modules coping with ambient-ish temperature. Light output loss is fine, I don't mind a 10% loss in brightness if it means everything can be passively cooled safely.

Thoughts?

for 445nm it is diode, for 532nm, it is DPSS
    diode can working without TEC, but for DPSS, you'd better with TEC.
    without TEC, for high power green, the pump diode will working in high temprature,which affect it's lifetime, second is the crystal working not at it's right temprature, which affect the efficiency from 808 to 532nm, in another words, the power will lower.
    Best regards!
    Bridge
    Laser-wave can supply:
    Green 532nm, 4W, 10W, 15W
    blue 445nm, 2W, 3.5W, 6W, 10W
    blue 462nm, 2W
    Red 638nm, 500mW, 1W,2W, 4W, 5W, 6W, 8W, 10W
    All diodes, All optics, All mount, All laser base and housing for yourselves building lasers.
    Speical products, 532nm, OEM-V-SS, 4W, 98mm*46mm*48mm; OEM-H, 10W, 250mm*88mm*70mm
    www.laser-wave.com or www.laser-wave.net
    bridge@laser-wave.com or 463366312@qq.com
    We Chat: 463366312, Laserwave-Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Humphry View Post
    Thoughts?
    Something called a heatsink
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Something called a heatsink
    Was trying to see if I could avoid that

Thanks guys.

For a 5W DPSS you must have a heatsink (a large one) and a fan or 2 fans. You shouldn't try to "avoid" something that is necessary !!! Turning off or bypassing the internal TEC in your 5W LW will probably destroy the module. Can you post a picture of the laser on the optical plate and we might be able to help you design and install a few simple components (heatsink/ fan, or a cpu-type cooling system) that will make your system run cool, efficient, and live a long happy life instead of a short unhappy one ;]

heat sinking, how could you run a 5w green without heat sinking?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Hi, yeah Bridge answered what I wanted to know - that passive cooling is not an option.

Thanks for the offer - Will simply rig up two CPU style cooling systems on the underside of the 12mm plate. Some of you guys seem pretty shocked so let me explain - I have been using fan-cooled 532's until now, along with 6W 445nm OEM modules which hardly warmed the fairly bulky optical plates I use, without finned sinks on the underside.

Thanks for the advice guys, always good to continue learning

Yeah the red and blue diodes don't really produce that much heat compared to high powered DPSS which almost always have internal TEC systems to keep the frequency doubling components at an optimal temperature for full performance. Those monsters (like the 5W that you have) do pump out a lot of heat to be gotten rid of. Glad that you're going to take care of it.

try a water cooling block for a cpu. Much quieter and made to dump 100W CPU heat all day. Might keep the block at ambient.

Playstation 3 fans are pretty low profile.