Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: miniture pangolin based 506 projector

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

yes.. i love community non-denominational projects

that's right. i remember your trick. i need to use that for my next projector. i'm going to keep my single mode low power projector because it's so nice to work on shows for a couple hours without eye strain.

i'd very much like to see more from digisynth. there are only a couple vids on yourtube and i've watched them too many times.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    no that's chuck rau on digisynth. come to think of it I think I used something from almost everyone on PL to do this! This is for sure a non denominational projector.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

don't hold your breath. The only person I know that can make it sing is Chuck. It's not a completed product. Beyond abstract generator is pretty cool once you dive into it. Andrews is good too. Digisynth is just not a finished product. It has cult status but it's not ready for prime time. Wish it was (hint hint chuck). Maybe some day.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i love a lot of fun with LSX, but would like to try my hand at Digisynth and Beyond. the more tools the better.

don't hold your breath. The only person I know that can make it sing is Chuck. It's not a completed product. Beyond abstract generator is pretty cool once you dive into it. Andrews is good too. Digisynth is just not a finished product. It has cult status but it's not ready for prime time. Wish it was (hint hint chuck). Maybe some day.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Looks good Marc! It might also be interesting for the folks to see more typical graphic images. I will also point out to people that his scanners are only running at +/-18 volts, and also the same power supply is going to both the laser diode drivers and power supply.

Marc, any comments on the heat? (I already know the answer, but just for the others )

Bill

Ok I made a few changes. I am running the diodes off a 9V supply because the Flexmods where heating up too much. The scanners ran a grid at full angle (8'sq at 12' from the wall) for 1 hour and BARELY got warm. In fact I think they only got warm because the drivers and flex mods are feeding heat to the 6" 1/4" plate.
    Heat is NOT an issue. I will have to take some pictures. Yes there is some rounding in the grid and no it's not perfect but hey its 30k scanners on Chinese drivers at 18v. I'm very happy. Once I dial down the size the rounding goes away and I am left with a perfect 4' image. Fine for my use in programming shows.

In another thread you'll see I ordered some NiCad packs and plan to go battery for the projector. FINALLY I am not tethered to my house. We get some real nice fog here. Now I can take it outside and have some fun. Plus its smart power so I need not worry so much about eye injury.

I'm going to make a borg cube case for this projector. This should be real cool. 2d image to start but 3d later.

I'll leave this post with a tip. If you chose to use 4-40 screws and want to tap a plate, tap half way flip the part tap a bit flip over and finish the hole. Broke three taps before I got that right. Also don't forget the lube or your toast.

Thanks again Bill!

Off to research FB3 for my fully protable system

Ok I made a few changes. I am running the diodes off a 9V supply because the Flexmods where heating up too much. The scanners ran a grid at full angle (8'sq at 12' from the wall) for 1 hour and BARELY got warm. In fact I think they only got warm because the drivers and flex mods are feeding heat to the 6" 1/4" plate.
    Heat is NOT an issue. I will have to take some pictures. Yes there is some rounding in the grid and no it's not perfect but hey its 30k scanners on Chinese drivers at 18v. I'm very happy. Once I dial down the size the rounding goes away and I am left with a perfect 4' image. Fine for my use in programming shows.

In another thread you'll see I ordered some NiCad packs and plan to go battery for the projector. FINALLY I am not tethered to my house. We get some real nice fog here. Now I can take it outside and have some fun. Plus its smart power so I need not worry so much about eye injury.

I'm going to make a borg cube case for this projector. This should be real cool. 2d image to start but 3d later.

I'll leave this post with a tip. If you chose to use 4-40 screws and want to tap a plate, tap half way flip the part tap a bit flip over and finish the hole. Broke three taps before I got that right. Also don't forget the lube or your toast.

Thanks again Bill!

Off to research FB3 for my fully protable system

The scanners ran a grid at full angle (8'sq at 12' from the wall) for 1 hour and BARELY got warm.
    Two points. 1) 8 feet wide from a distance of 12 feet is 38 degrees. 2) You can adjust what "full angle" means with the far-right pot on the amps. I just set it and shipped it to you but there is PLENTY of room to go larger. You can easily get to 60 degrees.

The scanners ran a grid at full angle (8'sq at 12' from the wall) for 1 hour and BARELY got warm. In fact I think they only got warm because the drivers and flex mods are feeding heat to the 6" 1/4" plate.
    Yes that's believable. I found the same in my own testing.

Yes there is some rounding in the grid and no it's not perfect but hey its 30k scanners on Chinese drivers at 18v.
    If you're able to compare with other scanners you'll see that the 30K aspects are perfect. You will see rounding in the grid, but only at large angles and, essentially, only in the grid (because of how it's made up). In fact it would be rare to be able to really project the grid at 30K and 40 degrees without some rounding.

I was pretty impressed and happy with the performance of these scanners running at +/-18 volts. In fact you could likely get these external surrogate laptop batteries -- which provide 19 volts -- and run the scanners off of that. In a table-mounted portable display that AVI made around 20 years ago, that's what they did and it worked well.

With respect to the Compact 506 XY mount, there are many holes on the bottom with M3 thread, and also a few holes on top with no thread. So there are several mounting options.

Bill
    Last edited by Pangolin; 05-21-2014 at 06:17.

absolutely. I didn't mean to imply they didn't. At 30k they do just fine. They can keep up with the 6215s on the grid at 30k so long as I keep sane angles. AND there is no heat while the 6215s burn themselves to death! Good idea on the 19v batteries. Saves space and weight. Not seeing a lot of improvement on 24v over 18v. There is some but frankly for the supply size the difference is not that much. I am really surprised at the performance on such little power input.

great result! a source for inspiration (apart from the broken taps of course )

This ultra small box could also be ideally paired with a riya lite dac (or riya micro)...
    "its called character briggs..."

Not seeing a lot of improvement on 24v over 18v.
    Higher rail voltage gives better large-signal performance. So for example, if you used +/-24V then the grid would not round as quickly (could be driven faster, or wider or both).

We've designed our Mach Mini so that it can work as a dual-channel amp, or single-channel using an H-bridge output (two power amplifiers for one scanner). This effectively doubles the rail voltage and should allow VERY GOOD large signal performance from these small scanners.

Good idea on the 19v batteries. Saves space and weight.
    Yes, Aron Bacs came up with that idea. (Some people see him at FLEM meetings.) They have Lithium Ion batteries and a little inverter inside to kick them up to a regulated 19V. It worked well for AVI's project.

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    ideally paired with a riya lite dac (or riya micro)...
    Ideally? Hehe. More ideally paired with a Pangolin FB3-SE. Entire laser shows could be played back without a computer. Alternatively a computer can be used with QS, BEYOND or LivePRO and connected by USB or (using an extender) network cable:
    http://www.pangolin.com/flashback/flashback3.htm

Bill
    Last edited by Pangolin; 05-21-2014 at 08:57.