Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: miniture pangolin based 506 projector

Well, I've always considered the fb3 a tad on the pricey side (595 usd isn't in my price range, not even begin to think about the mind numbing figures required for beyond) Plus I'm not inclined to buy a product that does not have an ethernet interface (a matter of personnal taste I suppose)

In this mini projector case, the dac would cost as much as all the major components and (scanners, diodes and power supplies)
    There are other, "lesser DACs" out there that can get the job done
    "its called character briggs..."

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Yes, Aron Bacs came up with that idea. (Some people see him at FLEM meetings.) They have Lithium Ion batteries and a little inverter inside to kick them up to a regulated 19V. It worked well for AVI's project.

Ideally? Hehe. More ideally paired with a Pangolin FB3-SE. Entire laser shows could be played back without a computer. Alternatively a computer can be used with QS, BEYOND or LivePRO and connected by USB or (using an extender) network cable:
    http://www.pangolin.com/flashback/flashback3.htm

Bill
    I was wondering who would be the first with a cordless battery powered RGB laser projector. Sounds like it's been done!?

Quote Originally Posted by Photonbeam View Post
    I was wondering who would be the first with a cordless battery powered RGB laser projector. Sounds like it's been done!?
    For sure yes, and done in a totally cool way! Around 2001, AVI made things that they called "Laser Globe". It was a small, table-top display the size of a globe, using our Discoscan Lens, Cambridge 6210 scanners, and our FB2 (predecessor to FB3). It also used both RF as well as Infrared remotes (two for redundancy and FB2 still has the remote decoder built in). These were used in ballrooms during various presentations. They were pre-loaded with all kinds of graphics that were relevant to the particular event. The whole project really kicked butt, and we still have some of the content.

LaserGlobe used two Laptop batteries (for + and - 19V scanner supply) and of course RGB lasers and such. Basically a lot of pre-released Pangolin technologies that everyone has access to today, but that substantially only AVI had access to back then.

Bill

PS: ILDA Format 4 and 5 were developed for this particular project. It's one of the reasons why I know it so well and know the true history of the ILDA file format. It was among the last of things that I did as ILDA Technical Committee Chairman, before retiring in that position and moving to the ILDA board for five years...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	622.1 KB 
ID:	43281Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	680.4 KB 
ID:	43282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	639.1 KB 
ID:	43283Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	743.2 KB 
ID:	43284Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 5.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	712.7 KB 
ID:	43285Here are some images from graphics and photos of the unit rewired. It was a mess. Any double lines are from the camera shutter or my shaky hands. Today I sit down with greeble and 3dsmax to make some dxfs for the laser cutter. If I do it right I'll be able to cut different depths to add dimension to the panels. Last I want to make a base with the cracked glass discharge to hold the cube on a single arm that lets you tilt the projector or lift it off. Think of seven of nines recharging station. Put a little bit of the high voltage back in the mix!

Want to share something I found. If you set up the flexmods and no matter what you do you can't get below bias, turn the center balance adjustment. You have leaking from the power supply. That adjusts the ripple feed through. Works well. Once adjusted you can go back to the bias and you are all set. Also, IF you are using adat, remember to take track slip off. Scared me for a second when I saw horrible overshoot! Was track slip.

I put my "big" projector on a power meter. All that time I though I was running 1.5W and it was sooo bright in my living room...well it's actually 200mw and all my diodes were under current. This little build does the same and a bit more. You really need to use two 50mw greens to balance the blue and red. I think this unit would give 300-400mw all day with dual green. Can't use the 120mw green. Beam is too big and turns out I was only getting 72mw out of it anyways.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	554.5 KB 
ID:	43286Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	547.9 KB 
ID:	43287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	570.0 KB 
ID:	43288

off to borg land. (neat name for new flavor of C++ Borgland C++ would have an uber communications dll set)