Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: miniture pangolin based 506 projector

Default miniture pangolin based 506 projector

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	43224Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 5.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	43228Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	43225Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	43226Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	43227Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0681.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	43229Well if you have followed my efforts over the last year on making a mini low power programming projector than you know I first had the dichro issue to solve. Check done thanks to Dave and Bridge. Special mention to Fred at one stop for trying as well. Had to build up a small rgb module. Check done thanks to logsquared. lovely piece of machining. Diodes from DTR thanks for a great site and service. Needed drivers Thanks Andrew for the new run. Well that got me to a completed 200mw light source. Then Bill made the 506's and turned the idea of a miniature scanner on its head. Add some driver sauce and finally I'm ready to assemble the unit. I'm going to buy a 12"x6" piece of 1/4" alum for the plate because once again the heat issue thanks to bill is no big deal BUT I am hoping to get it all on 6"x6" of the plate and chop off the extra 6". Better to have the extra space than need it. When done I am pretty sure it will be a 6" cube with a window on one side and a power cord and db25 on the other. This thing will draw less that 2A weigh under 2 lbs (way under). Now with a laptop I can sit in total silence and get the equivalent of a 60x argon and 30mw hene combo that cost 3k and drew 15A. This total build is less than 2k. Add in a fb3 and you have the ultimate hobby box. If you take away my mistakes along the way you might be able to do this under $1200.00

I'm doing the build on Monday so look to this thread for pictures of the unit. PS: it would be no big deal to change the rgb unit out to be well over 2W in the same space. I just wanted the beauty of single mode diodes. You can easily use the 120mw green in place of the 50mw in the same unit I am using. I am sure logsquared could offer the metal work as a kit. He doesn't make completed modules so you need dichro, diodes, lens, and drivers. Looks like I hit the bottom of the text box..............

The last pic is my existing 12x18"x12" projector for comparison. This all fits on a 6" plate and is 5" deep with space to spare. Tomorrow is drill tap and assemble
    Last edited by kecked; 05-19-2014 at 14:58.

Looking forward to the pix!

NICE! Such great things coming from a small package. Now if I could only convince the Ms. the same...
    Freelance Laser Operator in L.A.
    -

Views:	88 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	43236Click image for larger version. 

Views:	59 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	43237Click image for larger version. 

Views:	56 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	43238Click image for larger version. 

Views:	68 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	43239Click image for larger version. 

Views:	54 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	43240Click image for larger version. 

ID:	43240well assembly went ...ok three broken taps but who's counting. Please see the attached pictures. I got a rough together and now just need to build a housing for it. Works very well. I'm using pt20 amps at 18V! This thing rocks. I am running the drivers at 9V for the diodes and even had it on a battery.

More to come once I do the test patterns and build the box. But as you can see you CAN build a complete projector in your kitchen. 6" was generous. This could easily fit in a 4" cube. Also while I used the single mode diodes, you could easily squaeeze a watt or two in the same space.

It is a blast to sit in my living room on my chair with the projector next to me and my laptop and program. Look for new shows.

I really need to point out the rgb source. Thanks to logsquared or this would have never happened. Thanks to Bill of course or this would never have happened. Those 506 scanners rock. I can only wonder how they would perform on good drivers and 24V!

Still trying to figure how to upload a mov file

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

beautiful. these little single mode micro projectors are so awesome for show creation and living room laser shows.

upload your video to youtube and then link it with the film strip icon.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post

ID:	43240Click image for larger version. 

ID:	43240well assembly went ...ok three broken taps but who's counting. Please see the attached pictures. I got a rough together and now just need to build a housing for it. Works very well. I'm using pt20 amps at 18V! This thing rocks. I am running the drivers at 9V for the diodes and even had it on a battery.

More to come once I do the test patterns and build the box. But as you can see you CAN build a complete projector in your kitchen. 6" was generous. This could easily fit in a 4" cube. Also while I used the single mode diodes, you could easily squaeeze a watt or two in the same space.

It is a blast to sit in my living room on my chair with the projector next to me and my laptop and program. Look for new shows.

I really need to point out the rgb source. Thanks to logsquared or this would have never happened. Thanks to Bill of course or this would never have happened. Those 506 scanners rock. I can only wonder how they would perform on good drivers and 24V!

Still trying to figure how to upload a mov file
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Default video

test mini2.avi

I figured it out! Can only take avi. That is a piano under the sideways image for size comparison and I'm a good 10 feet from the wall. Image is about 8' across. Very respectable brightness.

Also the squeeze is the video not the image. It's round.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

looks great! is that show your work?

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    test mini2.avi

I figured it out! Can only take avi. That is a piano under the sideways image for size comparison and I'm a good 10 feet from the wall. Image is about 8' across. Very respectable brightness.

Also the squeeze is the video not the image. It's round.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

no that's chuck rau on digisynth. come to think of it I think I used something from almost everyone on PL to do this! This is for sure a non denominational projector.

swami if you look close on my large projector you'll see my trick. it maes the higher power look single mode. I put a 3x on the blue and then run the whole thing through a 2x. I let the scanners clip the edges and you get about 70% power out but 1 mm thick beams at 15'.

Looks awesome! I have fallen in love with SM.