Thread: Killer Flu from the Middle East.

Default Killer Flu from the Middle East.

How many Americans here have been infected by the 3 week cold that just wouldnt go away? The one with heavy cough, hard breathing, fever, chills muscle aches. ect?

My girlfriend had it first, and got a partially collapsed lung.

I got it next and was coughing blood at one point. 102F fever, chills, heavy sweats, muscle aches. ect.

We were both on top antibiotics, steroids, codeine cough medicine, and a nebulizer. Only the nebulizer worked for 30 minutes of relief at a time.

My GF works for a pharmacy, and she said loads of people have this, and its still continuing. I just read one member here had it.

I hate to spread conjecture, but could it be M.E.R.S? In May 2 people with M.E.R.S entered the country. They say
    health officials verified that the patient tested negative for active MERS-CoV infection, was no longer symptomatic, and posed no threat to the community; the patient was considered to be fully recovered and was discharged from the hospital.
    They tested the people who had immediate contact with the Indiana patient, and found one person who tested positive. We never even got tested, and we had every symptom in the book that matched M.E.R.S.

I've been sick many times in my life, and this thing hit me like an atom bomb. All the meds did nothing. Do you think its possible they are not saying anything so people dont panic from the Killer Flu from the Middle East. Seems strange that such a large part of the population around here has had this, but no reports of the major virus has been reported other than one person in Indiana. One of the cases traveled through Boston, so it is plausible.

Anyone else get this?

The cjties traveled through were....
    London
    Boston
    Chicago to Indiana
    Atlanta
    Orlando
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

I'm not normally paranoid, but I must admit that I've been suffering from a cold that has dragged on for almost 4 weeks now. (A cold NEVER lasts that long!)

In fairness though, it didn't seem like the flu, but just a garden-variety cold. No fever, no chills, no muscle aches, and no stomach problems. Started out as a runny nose, then progressed to a bad cough and incredible fatigue. Lost a couple days at work because of it, but felt better after day 8. Then it got worse again the following weekend (more coughing, some chest congestion, and back to the same fatigue as the first week). After the second weekend (14 days and beyond), it's just been a lingering chest cold with mild chest congestion and a cough. The fatigue comes and goes, but I've been fighting the crap in my chest for nearly a month.

I had assumed it just developed into a mild case of bronchitis, but now you've got me wondering. I guess I should go see my doctor just to be sure. I seriously doubt I have MERS, for the simple fact that I wouldn't be able to work if I still had it, but the fatigue those first two weekends were unlike anything I've experienced before...

Adam

It doesnt hit all people the same. You may just have a very good immune system.

My GF lost 10 pounds. I was coughing heavy phlegm for 3 weeks. Around the second week the symptoms ebbed, and flowed, but would not go away till just after week 3. Its very common where I live, and the timing was spot on. What's strange to me is New England has the leading edge in medical tech, but the no one is getting tested. In fact I would have never heard of MERS except for a 2 minute blurb on the local news. SARS, and the other major viruses were big news, but you dont hear anything about MERS. Hell, South Park had an episode about SARS. Yet 30% of people that get MERS dies, and everyone is hush about it.

Like I said I'm not the type of person who spreads conjecture, but the government is taking this virus fairly lightly for the severe effects it has on people. The bird flu got more press.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Lots of people have had this in the UK.

I had cold symptoms in the background for 2 months. Then overnight, went to streaming nose, fever, feeling really ill, couldn't eat or even drink (including water and including even sipping), without feeling violently sick, other flue like symptoms etc.

Next day, 100% better but lost several pounds in weight over that weekend (just the Sat and Sun - literally drained off me). Then the cough started. 3 months later & 1 course of antibiotics (strong penicillin (forget which one)), finally got rid.

Know of lots of people who've had this and had it worse. Heard of people being in bed for a week.

We were in bed for 4 days. I coughed blood for a few days. I soaked the sheets, and my pillows in sweat many times. I had to put towels on my chair so I wouldnt soak through it. I was on 2 rounds of antibiotics, and it didnt even slow it down. I'm a strong man, and it devastated me.

The conspiracy side of my brain thinks the middle east may be experimenting with viruses, and the free world is holding back statistics to shade the fact its going on. Of course this makes me sound like the typical Arab/Muslim fearing American, but I'm faaaar from that. I hate the world equally.

I just cant formulate why this is not being broadcasted like the other major viruses.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

It might have been "Bouncing"* between you and your missus. Your immune system can just barely push it off, thus it is easy to get re-infected. Bugs that do this are rare, but not unheard of. Probably common if you have kids in school, but not unheard of in adults. This has happened for a long time, Hence the Biblical chapters on putting the sick away to another tent or making them "unclean" and unable to re-enter the village until cleared by the priest. Yet they do allow re-entry if healing is found.

Even if you do not believe, some of the older books of Bible and Torah** had a pretty good grasp on basic preventative medicine.

I have gotten a few nasty, persistent, bugs lately that did run extra long. I thought they were odd, but I am getting older.
    Steve

* My pediatrician taught me the term "Ping-Ponging" for this effect. I checked Wiki for the term Ping-Ponging Infection, and did not like what I found. In modern times it refers to a specific, nasty, bug. We will leave it at that.
    ** Ref: Deuteronomy and Leviticus if you feel the need.
    Last edited by mixedgas; 06-23-2014 at 18:48.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Hi Steve.

I've had a few ping pong effect colds in my life, and this was far from that. I know quite a few people who've had the same 3+ week flu, along with the same symptoms. I even met a few at the NELEM who had it. All the same story. My girlfriend sees people come in the pharmacy almost daily that have it. I cant say for sure its MERS, but this virus going around is the real deal, and its serious. Everyone I've talked to said its nothing like they've ever had before, and I completely agree with them. I've had pneumonia twice, and this virus makes those times look like the sniffles. No exaggeration implied.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

One things for sure, our modern diet, and excessive use of antibiotics must make us weaker and the bugs stronger.
    I've had a few three week monsters in the past two years.

I'm not so sure a good reporting system is in place, either. If it is in place, its designed to collect data on the really BAD bugs.

I Hope you feel better and recover completely.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Thanks Steve.

I'm over it now, but some days it still feels like its lingering.

I hope your infection has subsided, and you're feeling better too.