Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My New ILDA / DMX / USB interface project build.

Why not use light-pipes for your LEDs?

I'm sure I've seen posts recently where others have done this... :-)
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

WookieBoy,

Thanks for the great idea!

I did not know much about light-pipes so I just finished reading up on them. I like your idea and just ordered some flexible light pipe with clear lenses for the FB3's and colored lenses for the others.

They should be here next Tuesday or sooner. I'll post some pictures once they are installed. I ordered some extra pieces because I can see using this in other projects. It would have been cheaper to just relocate the existing LEDs, but this is a better way to go since I don't have to mod my FB3's.

Quote Originally Posted by WookieBoy View Post
    Why not use light-pipes for your LEDs?

I'm sure I've seen posts recently where others have done this... :-)
    Eric in New Orleans

Yeah I'd be careful modding your FB3's since they self diagnose. I can't see why changing the LED's would make any difference but I do know they have self protection against certain types of interference. Light pipes sound the best way to go.

Pity you haven't found a more secure way to fasten the Fb3's into the case as Maurice's concerns are very real, even a small drop could cause the FB3's to come free from the case and rebound internally causing damage to either themselves or other electronics / cabling in there.

Quote Originally Posted by djeric68 View Post
    WookieBoy,

Thanks for the great idea!

I did not know much about light-pipes so I just finished reading up on them. I like your idea and just ordered some flexible light pipe with clear lenses for the FB3's and colored lenses for the others.

They should be here next Tuesday or sooner. I'll post some pictures once they are installed. I ordered some extra pieces because I can see using this in other projects. It would have been cheaper to just relocate the existing LEDs, but this is a better way to go since I don't have to mod my FB3's.
    Not sure it was my idea... I'm sure it was thought of by Norty and maybe someone else from the US before if my addled memory isn't playing tricks on me... How did you get on with the light pipes that you ordered?

Quote Originally Posted by WookieBoy View Post
    Not sure it was my idea... I'm sure it was thought of by Norty and maybe someone else from the US before if my addled memory isn't playing tricks on me... How did you get on with the light pipes that you ordered?
    Wookieboy,

I bought flexible light pipes from Allied Electronics http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...x?SKU=70053724. Just a short piece of plastic Fiber Optic Cable with a larger diameter piece at the end.

I also ordered couplers to mount them on the front panel http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...x?SKU=70053728

and clear lenses for the FB3 (multicolor LED)& DMX (green LED) to mount them on the front panel, and some in different colors for my Hard Drives which have white LEDs http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...x?SKU=70052825

and some of these clip mounts http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...x?SKU=70053729 that I modified and attached over the LEDs on the FB3s, DMX, hard drives to attach the light pipes. The light pipe can be pulled out of the clip mount easily if I need to remove the FB3/DMX/harddrive.

Overall, it was a good way to get the LED indication out to the front panel of the project box. If I were to do it again, I might use the rigid plastic light pipes http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...x?SKU=70052912, because these flexible ones get pushed around by all the USB cables inside. I went with the flexible b/c I though it might be a problem trying to line up the front panel locations with the LEDs inside the case. The rigid light pipes are much cheaper too!

I will take some pictures and post them.
    Last edited by djeric68; 07-16-2014 at 06:45. Reason: Added Link
    Eric in New Orleans

Cool. Thanks.

I'd love to see how you got on... I'm considering something similar at the moment...

Get those light pipes installed? id like to see how you did it
    "This is not "work". It's a disease, addiction and passion. Only slightly cheaper than cocaine, but similar effects."
    -dnar

Light pipes are installed. I'm out of town until Aug. 9th. I'll take some pictures when I get back and post them.

Eric
    Eric in New Orleans