Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New place for other thread grossly OT

For sure Paula was the sound chip. We came up with a mod where you removed that singular chip and replace it with our board. I don't even recall a chip with a man's name (hence the spanish translation of Amiga = Girlfriend).

Bill

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Electronics Ltd View Post
    Ok let's go back to the RISC Architecture, and not dissimulate.
    The Amiga was never a RISC machine. Period.

8 bit structure and architecture.
    The Amiga was not an 8-bit machine. It used a 32-bit CPU with a 16-bit bus.

Quote Originally Posted by infredible View Post
    I believe the Amiga 500 sound chip was called Paula not Gary.
    My bad, Fred! You are correct. Paula is the sound chip. Gary is the one that controls disk drive I/O and bus logic. I edited my post above to reflect my mistake. Thanks for pointing it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    I don't even recall a chip with a man's name
    Actually, there were three custom Amiga chips with male names.

The first was the Gary chip. It was found in the A500, A600, A2000, and CDTV machines. When they moved to a 32-bit architecture for the A3000 and A4000 series, the chip was upgraded to support the full 32-bit bus, and was re-named "Fat Gary". As mentioned above, it controlled the floppy drives and handled bus timing/logic

The second one was only found in Amigas with Zorro slots. In the A2000 it was called the "Buster" chip, and it controlled the 16-bit Zorro II expansion slots. When the A3000 and A4000 were released (with the newer 32-bit Zorro III slots), this chip was also upgraded, becoming "Fat Buster". (Also known as "Super Buster".)

The last one with a male name was unique to the A3000 and A4000 machines. It was called "Ramsey", and served as a memory controller for the on-board 32-bit fast-ram.

However, most of the other custom chips were named after women.

Adam

funny story about those cd32's a few years back i was helping a friend move and he had a closet full of cd32's so i asked him about them and the story was they were empty cases because back in the day there was a shortage of the A1200's so the store my friend worked for gutted cd32's(that weren't selling very well) and built A1200 towers out of them to fill the need for the A1200

Yeah, I remember those days. After Commodore folded there was a huge demand for Amigas, which led to all sorts of scavenging like you mentioned.

I remember companies tearing apart A1200s and building custom backplanes to support Zorro III slots just so they could mount it all in a generic case and sell it as an A4000T. (Tower)

It's really sad that Commodore screwed up so badly. I wonder what things would have been like in the early 2000's if the Amiga had lived...

Adam

it's not like Bill would know what software Pangolin makes or anything like that...

oh wait...

glad to see things never change