Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kinect for Lasercam

Default Kinect for Lasercam

So I have laserCam software (amazing!) and have played with it using the webcam on my laptop (not so amazing) and though I should get a Kinect as they work with IR, so better in low light levels as well as being depth, rather than contrast sensitive.

LaserCam states that it works with the old version of the Kinect and I read somewhere on PhotonLexicon that you could tell the old ones by the serial numbers (just confirmed with sugeek that it's 1414 versus 1473 for the newer version.

First of all, is the serial number the only way of telling which kinect will work?

Does the old eggs-box kinect work with windows and with LaserCam? I read somewhere that there was an adapter you could use.

Keith

IIRC, the original kinect had a USB "A" connector. You had to plug it into a sort of pass-through adapter with a power supply to use it with a computer because it needed more power than a standard USB port could source.

Quote Originally Posted by CountFunkula View Post
    IIRC, the original kinect had a USB "A" connector. You had to plug it into a sort of pass-through adapter with a power supply to use it with a computer because it needed more power than a standard USB port could source.
    Thanks CountFunkula. Would a powered hub do the trick then?

Wait for Dr. Lava to reply my model number was a guess...
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Depending on the hardware you get your hands on, you may not need anything additional. The original standalone Kinects came with the power-supply passthrough adapter. You needed it anyway because the cable coming out of the back of the Kinect was something that LOOKED like USB "A", but was slightly bigger. The power supply adapter had a socket that fit the Kinect-specific "almost-USB" and was an actual USB "A" on the other end. I think the ones that came bundled with an xbox didn't require or come with the adapter because the xbox had a special Kinect jack on the back.

If you really want to, you could hack apart the Kinect cable and do your own thing, but it seems like a lot of effort when you could pick up the adapter for less than $10 US.

I personally have had bad luck with USB hubs and Kinects in general; they can be bandwidth hogs and sometimes a hub will do funky things with automatic speed/bandwidth negotiation. I've even had situations which require multiple Kinects running simultaneously on a single computer NOT work unless each Kinect is the only thing plugged into a given USB controller. Of course, that was a few years ago and hopefully not a problem any more.

Thanks CountFunkula. Good to know.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by CountFunkula View Post
    Depending on the hardware you get your hands on, you may not need anything additional. The original standalone Kinects came with the power-supply passthrough adapter. You needed it anyway because the cable coming out of the back of the Kinect was something that LOOKED like USB "A", but was slightly bigger. The power supply adapter had a socket that fit the Kinect-specific "almost-USB" and was an actual USB "A" on the other end. I think the ones that came bundled with an xbox didn't require or come with the adapter because the xbox had a special Kinect jack on the back.

If you really want to, you could hack apart the Kinect cable and do your own thing, but it seems like a lot of effort when you could pick up the adapter for less than $10 US.

I personally have had bad luck with USB hubs and Kinects in general; they can be bandwidth hogs and sometimes a hub will do funky things with automatic speed/bandwidth negotiation. I've even had situations which require multiple Kinects running simultaneously on a single computer NOT work unless each Kinect is the only thing plugged into a given USB controller. Of course, that was a few years ago and hopefully not a problem any more.

I have had my kinect model 1414 for a while now but not played much with it but tonight tried to get things going for a 2nd time. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but can't get Lasercam or Kinect studio to recognise the device.

I installed the drivers from M$ website and green light starts flashing on kinect but that's as far as I've got.

Something I read suggested that I may need a DirectX 11 compatible GPU (I only have 10) but others say 9.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Thanks
    Keith

I've just found the original email from DrLava which had download links to his drivers. That would make sense! Links aren't working due to the migration of his website. Does anyone have the drivers handy?

Keith

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

try using "innolasers.com" for the domainname with the same path.

Quote Originally Posted by Galvonaut View Post
    I've just found the original email from DrLava which had download links to his drivers. That would make sense! Links aren't working due to the migration of his website. Does anyone have the drivers handy?

Keith
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Thanks Swamidog. Nothing there at the moment but have emailed DrLava.