Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LaserWave 1W 532nm laser keeps failing

Hi Flecom, look like the temperature control not working well, please check the connect line is correct or not, especially the NTC line(the 2 very small line), second is to see the TEC is working or not. both will make the laserhead very hot, please checking.
    any questions or reply is welcome.
    Best regards!
    Bridge
    Laser-wave can supply:
    Green 532nm, 4W, 10W, 15W
    blue 445nm, 2W, 3.5W, 6W, 10W
    blue 462nm, 2W
    Red 638nm, 500mW, 1W,2W, 4W, 5W, 6W, 8W, 10W
    All diodes, All optics, All mount, All laser base and housing for yourselves building lasers.
    Speical products, 532nm, OEM-V-SS, 4W, 98mm*46mm*48mm; OEM-H, 10W, 250mm*88mm*70mm
    www.laser-wave.com or www.laser-wave.net
    bridge@laser-wave.com or 463366312@qq.com
    We Chat: 463366312, Laserwave-Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    ... then just dies... if I power cycle the projector it comes back up for a minute or two, and dies again...
    B4 U throw it into an oncoming vehicle and kill someone, just give it to me .. Whaddya mean "dies" .. moar info needed .. fault leds on the driver .. all lights going off or just the beam dies .. red fault light comes on ? .. etc. Yeh those ntc wires on mine look really delicate (I have a 2W 532 LW) .. yes a reset could take a couple of minutes for the circuitry to recognize that there's a thermal problem .. or another type of problem too .. ya never know ..

but since it's a DPSS wouldn't a thermal problem cause a gradual death of the output? and resetting it quickly wouldn't make such a difference in temp that it would come right up I would think?

I need to investigate further, it's pretty buried inside the projector so even seeing those LEDs and such is not that easy... maybe I'll get around to it this weekend...

Flecom,

You are correct. A thermal problem that occurs after the laser has been running (ie its temp is OK at least at some point and not way way off) is not going to cause it to wink out. The pump diode can drift as will the KTP. As the pump drifts the power will droop and as the KTP drifts the beam will get funky and the power will droop, but it won't wink out. I agree with bridge that this sounds like an intermittent connection and only an intermittent connection with the diode drive current is going to cause an instantaneous loss of power. It may be a temperature related disconnect, however. As the TEC warms it may cause a poor connection to fail.

I would not be at all afraid to open it up. I have had a couple of DPSS lasers open for months and just place a snug layer of Al foil over the work site/head when I go away. If this is an OEM with easy access to the board then take a DMM and meter each of the input pairs and see if there is any board level input change when the head goes dark. If you have a power meter then meter the output while you wait and see if there is any warning with changes in output. If nothing changes from the board then open the head and do this again. Most CCD based cameras can see the 808nm light that you can't (1/64,000 as visible as 555nm) and if the diode is outputting, but the head is not then maybe you have a loose crystal (vanadate or KTP that suddenly moves out of alignment as things warm up. You can then check the clamp/supports or adhesive to see if anything is amiss.