Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LaserWave 1W 532nm laser keeps failing

Default LaserWave 1W 532nm laser keeps failing

Ok I'm throwing this one out there to see if anyone has any suggestions... I have a 1W 532nm LaserWave laser that will work fine for a minute or two in my projector and then just dies... if I power cycle the projector it comes back up for a minute or two, and dies again... I know it's not a power supply problem because several other lasers run off the same 5V supply in my projector (Lambda 5v 40A switcher)

anyone have any suggestions on where to start (I'm at wits end here) or should I just throw it at oncoming traffic on the highway?

Could be a thermistor gone bad so it doesn't know when to control the TEC? Although not sure it would instantly stop, that would ramp down more likely.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

it seems to be a bit unstable at power up (pretty normal I think for DPSS no?) and then seems to stabilize... then just blinks out completely after a couple minutes

it used to take longer, hour or so, then 30 minutes now it won't last more than a couple minutes

can you even open these things or are you pretty much boned if you do?

DPSS greens aren't nearly as sensitive to moisture as the DPSS blues are. You can certainly pop the lid and check it out. Alternately, you might want to send it to someone here on PL who has more experience working on them. I know that Mecheng3 used to do this back in the day, but I haven't heard from Mike in over a year.

Rob over at Stanwax Laser could do it, but then you're looking at international shipping...

Adam

PS: I have a pair of new CNI 1 watt greens on E-bay right now, if you want to go that route! But beware, I'm negotiating with a local buyer for the pair, so they may not be up on E-bay much longer... If you want them though, I'd be happy to de-list them now.

na no worries man, I am not spending any more money on this stuff for the foreseeable future (so no new modules/shipping etc)

I guess I'll take it out and mess with it, anyone have suggestions on what to look for? just some thermistors?

If you're going to run it with the casing open, get your self some IR goggles

Personally, for the sake of £300 and getting the projector back out working for its keep, I'd be buying a new module, and tinkering with the old in my downtime.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

the projector will be retired if I can't fix it... thanks for the IR reminder... been busy with other hobbies

might also be worth checking that the tec is working
    does a led come on on the driver when it stops ?
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

not sure, driver is kind of hidden away, I'll have to take a look at it... the strange thing is all it takes is power cycling the laser for a second and it comes back... so if the problem is thermal how much can change in a second or two?

Maybe the 808 pump diode going bad? How many hours on it?