Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phoenix4 Live..

Default Phoenix4 Live..

Greetings All..
    I recently purchased the Phoenix4 Live.. After success with installation, the laser output from the Kam 1000 3D appeared "fuzzy and disorientated". I saw a you tube clip and know that the Kam is a compatible unit for this software, so perhaps im missing something along the way... Your input and help would be mostly appreciated..
    Kind regards
    Ky

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Do you have pictures/videos of the "fuzzy and disorientated" output?

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    Do you have pictures/videos of the "fuzzy and disorientated" output?
    Hi colouredmirrorball...
    I will upload them soon, thanks for reply..
    Ky

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	43408

Here are the result of the proposed image.. First i would get a bright dot then eventually it randomly flashes..

That looks like a wiring or grounding problem. Can you open up the projector? Do you have electronics skills? Do you have access to a power meter or oscilloscope?
    Most likely a cable came loose.

Can you verify the colours of the effect are correct?

Just to clarify, the laser behaves fine when in auto mode? There is only a problem when connecting to the DAC?

Where are you located? Maybe somebody near you can help you with the issue.

I have 2 Kam units and both behave the same... Unplug ILDA laser works perfect..
    I live in Australia, one of the pro Dj stores only stock the Phoenix4 software a week or so ago so resources here are far and few...

There are some Australian members, but it's a large country. Try the meet and greet section.

That actually sounds like the DAC is faulty. If you have access to an oscilloscope with XY input mode, you can check this. If not, return it to the shop.
    Or both lasers have the same error and it's a design flaw...

Thanks CMB for that insight, its my first workings with ILDA but have been quite fascinated with lasers as of recent. Ill continue to browse this forum and hopefully gain further knowledge...

I agree with CMB assessment insomuch as "wiring problem". I will also say that -- just because a projector works fine when using its internal pattern generator, doesn't mean that the projector is completely wired correctly to the point where it will work correctly with an external signal. So -- unless you can prove it otherwise (by successfully displaying a pattern from a completely different software source), I would not rule out the projector as a possible cause at this point.

However, looking at the pictures, I think the most likely candidate is the cable that goes between the software interface board and the projector. I would recommend you use what amounts to a "printer extension cable" where all 25 pins go from one connector to another. If you have some kind of adapter in between (for example, DB-25 to network adapter) I would view that as highly suspicious... I've seen them work OK in the past, but with a problem like this, cable and little interface boxes would be the first place to start looking...

The software interface box is also a possible candidate, although the least likely. Given the nature of the pictures you have shown above, this can not be a problem with the software or software settings.

Bill

*Facepalm* I did forget about the most obvious cable... I agree, that's certainly a great place to look before returning to the shop. Thanks Bill!

Though as the problem appears within two separate projectors (of the same model), I think a wiring error inside the projector is unlikely except for a design flaw.