Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Actuator driver amp boards

OK-
    I just ordered 30 of the GM-20 driver board. 10 have been spoken for. I am selling the boards for $25.00 each- each board has a power supply section attached. NO kits will be available. Buyers will get a detailed parts list with DigiKey numbers and assembly instructions. I will include drawings for the heatsink. I can also supply one for $20.00 each.
    If you are interested, I will send you a schematic of one channel, and once I have boards in hand, a photo of a completed board. I can't afford to bankroll a group purchase with no interest.
    Now, about the analog generator. I want to make it clear that this is not a completed performance machine. It is a platform for experimenters. I am not selling a ready to use analog box- you have to build it.
    If you want to see patterns, build one. I will send information via PM only, and at least 10 hearty souls must sign on, or I will wirewrap my own project.
    Cheers
    Last edited by glorocks; 06-04-2014 at 18:38. Reason: accuracy

i could be in for the abstract generator if i had a few more info (like price etc) and a rough idea of what to expect
    "its called character briggs..."

Right now, I'm finishing up the actuator driver project. The boards are in production and will be delivered in two weeks. I have a few sold, and need several for my own projector project. I will be posting a final price for the board as soon as I determine the cost of the heatsink. I will be posting photos of the raw and finished boards a day or two after I receive the boards order.
    The abstract device is currently in the drawing board stage. In the coming weeks, we will decide on capabilities we want and test out a few new ideas.
    It will be a single board that will be of "open architecture" design, which will allow the builder to start with a basic cycloid generator and build up as needed.
    Cost will be mainly determined by the board and the builder's choice of front panel parts like switches and pots. You can use a cheap open pot that is prone to getting dirty and noisy or a quality Allen Bradley- either will work, but that noisy pot could cost you a scanner.
    With one exception, parts called for will be of current production- no obsolete or "unobtainium" stuff. Our decisions may draw some flack from purists, but better a box that you can build than one that has you searching all over for a part that hasn't been available for 30 years.
    In coming posts, I will list the capabilities we have decided on and a description of what the builder can expect. Naturally, I can't show what it will do until one gets built, and this is a few months away.
    So check in from time to time and be patient. It IS coming.
    Cheers

OK- the boards are in hand. They will be available for sale in about 3 weeks- when I laid them out, I added a power supply as an extra. I have to run down to do a job for 10 days, and I will cut the boards while I'm in Vegas.
    A brief rundown:
    The GEM8 is an 8 channel general purpose bi-polar driver for small motors and rotary actuators. Each channel is rated at 1 amp and can be fused if desired.
    Each channel has a gain of 3 which is adjustable via the input pots. A reasonable output of +- 15-18 volts may be realized with a TTL (5V) input, assuming a bi-polar 24 volt supply.
    Input impedance is 100K ohms single ended.
    The amps can be wired as a simple bipolar switch, or a rudimentary scanner or motor driver. The actuator can be in or out of the feedback loop. There is a provision for a "snubber" as well as the several feedback options.
    One question will arise concerning the input pot layout. This was laid out so the user could use type 94 trim pots or harder to find "DIP trim" quad DIP trimmers.
    The boards require a custom heatsink which is a drilled section of 1/4" by 1" AL extrusion. A pattern is supplied with each board.
    If needed, I can supply a drilled heatsink with silicone insulator strips at additional cost.
    I will post photos of the board after the holiday.
    Cheers